Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the summer, I purchased my 2005 1.8T sedan. I took it to the dealership for them to check something out on the motor, and while there I asked them to take a look at my passenger side headlight, as it would shake a bit, and seemed loose when in "D". To my surprise, the dealer replaced the headlight, something must have really been out of kilter (under warranty of course). However, I was over at my parents house several weeks later, and when I flipped on the lights on their garage door, I about jumped out of my seat. My side was level all the way across, but the passenger side headlight was WAY out of whack. I did a little adjustment myself (thanks to this forum's writeup), and was able to level it out a bit, but when I tried to fine tune it, I could not get it right. So, while at another dealership over the weekend, I asked them to do an adjustment for me. They came back and told me it was fine. It is not that bad, but how would they do that? Is there a tool they use to line it up? I have also heard that the passenger side light covers more area, so as to pick up things on the roadside. With my Jetta, I remember a level, even light line that converged on a single point many feet from the front of the car. When it was foggy out, this was very evident. With my Passat, not so much. Any suggestions on how I should move forward? Should I maybe take the time to go back to the original dealership for them to look at it? I would not mind paying to have it right, even.

Thanks forum.

Reflex1.8T

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
The driver's side headlight should NOT be "level all the way across". Starting at the left, your beam pattern (assuming projectors) should have a horizontal line going across that angles up at approx. 30 degrees midway across.

There are a number of threads here that ...oh hell.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

This is approximately what you should see. Is it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts