Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on how to adjust the headlights when the adjustment gears are broken?
The standard allen wrench adjusters spin, but don't do anything.
Up/down is priority, but left/right adjustment would also be helpful
Thanks
Steve
2002 GLX wagon with 4 motion V6 engine
(also 2005 TDI sedan and 2004 TDI wagon)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am also in this boat. I looked for your post Tortelious but didnt see it. will search again later.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here ya go :

good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but that doesn't answer the question... With the gears broken, how do I (you ?) adjust the headlights?

·
Registered
26,310 Posts
The metal post that the 2nd plastic gear is on is attached to the adjuster inside. You can turn that with pliers, but it's tedious.

·
Registered
88 Posts
NOTE: this is not a direct answer to an adjustment method for a headlamp assembly with a broken adjuster.

RA has the OEM Hella headlamp assemblies for ~$107 each (non-Xenon, with bulbs, too, if I recall correctly). If your lenses are getting cloudy, too, this is a worthwhile refresh for your night lighting. I have a discount code that is valid until near the end of January, too - use 124874195112628828 .

I replaced mine with these a couple of years back and am glad that I sprung for the parts rather than trying to refresh the old lenses/assemblies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did what khnitz did a couple years ago and I'm glad I did. I didn't have any issues with the aim, but they were cloudy, the mounts were busted and the wiring was going to hell inside the housings. I had already refinished the lenses once and I knew I didn't want to do it again because of the mess.

Definitely worth the money. The headlights are the exact same that came on the car, with the exception of the missing VW/Audi logo. I think the originals on my 01.5 were made in Germany and the new Hellas were made in Slovakia (I think).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
khnitz and pete029, thanks for the lead on replacements from RA - do you have a website address for them? Thanks!
(lots of RA, R&A, RAuto, etc all over a google search)

Steve

·
Registered
26,310 Posts
You can reference any business you want as long as they are legal.

·
Administrator
23,414 Posts
You can reference any business you want as long as they are legal.
Correct. When I recommend a vendor, it may not necessarily be a site sponsor. (y) It's from my personal dealings with them on my own parts.

Rockauto, FCP Euro, NGP Racing (because local to me), and even Amazon/Ebay for non critical small parts are my go to places.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts