Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the headlight im turning the little white thing but the light position does not move at all. is it broken or am i not turning the right thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Anyone out there with a CD Bentley ......or any first hand experience with this topic.. Ive got a paper back bentley for 2000- 01 and 02 , the head light adjusting section missing? ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
You need to turn it _a lot_ to see a noticeable difference. Also, make sure you're in front of a wall not more than 20' away. There are 2 of them, deeply seated in the headlight assembly. One is for vertical and the other for horizontal alignment. You'll need a long screwdriver. A flat one I had around did the trick. The screw head is Phillips IIRC, but my Phillips driver didn't fit it. I too thought mine were broken till I started turning them wholesale. There are plenty of how-to's floating around, even specific to our cars. Here's quick rundown (read: my version :) ):

Drive car to a wall, as close as you can. Use duct tape (yes!) to mark an X in front of the center of each headlight. Drive back straight about 15-20'. Adjust so that the wide-angle L's (it looks like a backwards L that was opened up to maybe 135-165 degrees - just an approximation) point is where your Xs are. Close hood, drive to liquor store, pick up 6 pack, go home, congratulate yourself on another DIY job well done! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,373 Posts
My hayne's manual has a little variation of MasTRE's- it says park 25' away, mark the centerline of the vehicle and then mark a horizontal centerline in front of each headlight and then two vertical lines that are the width of the car (i.e., at the same level of the headlights). The beams should be just below the horizontal lines and the drivers' side should be inside of the vertical line otherwise you could blind oncoming traffic. I just got some Nokya Arctic Whites and they look just like HID and if you don't have crystal clears, no-one will be able to tell the difference. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,373 Posts
Pretty cool link, pass-variant! A small discrepancy: for those who don't know, with the gears, the adjustment is anti-clockise to raise the beams in the elevation adjustment and clockwise to move the beams to left on the horizontal adjustment. The inboard screws adjust height and the outboard screws adjust windage. go get 'em, tiger!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,407 Posts
Driving home tonight I was thinking I need to adjust my headlights. One beam is out of vertical with the other. And wah-la, here is the how to.
Thanks for the knowledge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
luvmyb5 said:
Pretty cool link, pass-variant! A small discrepancy: for those who don't know, with the gears, the adjustment is anti-clockise to raise the beams in the elevation adjustment and clockwise to move the beams to left on the horizontal adjustment. The inboard screws adjust height and the outboard screws adjust windage. go get 'em, tiger!

Thanks for posting that luvmyb5... someone should get a moderator to move this post into the information area. this was exactly the info i needed and i'm sure a few others might be interested in .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
luvmyb5 said:
My hayne's manual has a little variation of MasTRE's- it says park 25' away, mark the centerline of the vehicle and then mark a horizontal centerline in front of each headlight and then two vertical lines that are the width of the car (i.e., at the same level of the headlights). The beams should be just below the horizontal lines and the drivers' side should be inside of the vertical line otherwise you could blind oncoming traffic. I just got some Nokya Arctic Whites and they look just like HID and if you don't have crystal clears, no-one will be able to tell the difference. :lol:
curious??? how much did those NOkya whites H7 halogen capsules upgrade cost you? how do they look? can you post a nighttime pic of your Nokya whites ?

haven't upgraded to hella hids yet ...still waiting for a better group buy offer to come along or when i can afford them (which ever comes first).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,373 Posts
I can't get the pics I'm trying to take to come out well. I tried doing a side-by-side comparison of Osram Silverstars and the Nokyas, but that didn't come out either. It's cold as crap and raining over here so I quit trying to take any more pictures. Since I don't have web pic hosting, I posted the best pic of the Nokyas on my website. Enjoy (just scroll down): http://www.angelfire.com/ill/blinginb5/b5pics.html If you want a comparison, go take a picture of your car's headlights and compare. That's the best I can do considering the conditions here in SOVA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
MasTRE said:
You need to turn it _a lot_ to see a noticeable difference.
Woah woah, seen this too many times, and wow, this is an old thread.

The SLIGHTEST turn should be noticable. If not, by cranking it, you're either A) risking the snapping of a post B) your posts are already snapped. Each full turn on the screw should be very noticable from 20 ft away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,885 Posts
chrisyoon said:
Woah woah, seen this too many times, and wow, this is an old thread.

The SLIGHTEST turn should be noticable. If not, by cranking it, you're either A) risking the snapping of a post B) your posts are already snapped. Each full turn on the screw should be very noticable from 20 ft away.
For the .5's it takes a LOT of turning for results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,457 Posts
My drivers side windage (left right) adjustment just isn't working. Does that mean one of my posts is snapped? How can this be fixed?

Do I have to remove the bumper and the whole headlight?

Ugh!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,885 Posts
I had my drivers side headlight replaced after an accident by a "preferred" shop (convenient location and with insurance). Since then, I have not been able to aim that head light at all. I think they broke the posts or installed a defective headlight (maybe to save money).

I too would like to know if there is any way to aim the beam with broken posts. Or I can wait a few more weeks for my HIDs to come in from Germany.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
742 Posts
Becareful when turing those screws my freind broke when when installing his HID's on his mustang (I know two things that dont mix) and he litterally cried like a little girl who stubbed her toe.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top