Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are finally going on vacation after a killer summer of work. I was just wondering if there are any major construction woes to look out for on our travels. We are leaving from Reading PA and heading towards 278 over the tapenzee bridge and hooking up with 95. After last years AAA triptik nightmare, we will map it out ourselves. We were going to buy a nav system, but we ran out of time. Any help is greatly appreciated. And this is b5 related since we are driving our 03 variant. Thanks

Michael

What are gas prices like now, up north. Today prices rose by .31 from 8:00 am this morning to 7:30 PM. Don't get me started on that crap......A gallon of 87 right now is $2.47 and of course I am chipped and need to spend $2.58. There is not a big difference anymore between 87 and 93, go figure

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Between $2.55 and $2.70 a gallon for 93 in the midcoast Maine area. Probably the same throughout the rest of Maine.

Road construction everywhere in Maine (because it is summer), but no major traffic jams because of it. More likely you'll hit the regular tourist traffic. If starting to wear you down, just stop and have some seafood - lobster being the preferred choice!

·
Registered
142 Posts
:rolleyes: I was just up in kennebunkport thursday...traffic was fine even tolls went sailing through water is chilly but not ice cold....just don't buy lobster between kennebunk and ogunquit they were asking 44.00 for a 2 pounder!! down in boston lobster is 5.99lb in local markets. I think you should have smooth ride on turnpike i think you take 395 at bangor over to rte1.. I prefer rte 1 it's a nice ride a little traffic but thats where you find cool stores and great photo ops.....have a great trip and if you get a chance cut through Boston and see what taxpayers across the country paid for the boondogle called the big dig!!!!!! Ken

·
Registered
615 Posts
Actually, you're going to want to watch out for Rt 1a between Holden and Ellsworth. They've got the whole road torn up for a widening project, and as a result, there's a few miles of rough dirt travel and slow going. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. Rt 1a is a beautiful drive, and from its end in Ellsworth, it's only a few minutes down Rt 3 to Bar Harbor.

I would think there may be a better way to come up to Bar Harbor. I95 from Augusta to Bangor is not what I'd consider scenic (though I may be a bit jaded, since I travel a good portion of it quite frequently... in all actuality, it's a very pretty drive), though it surely would be much less congested than Rt 1 up the coast. And aside from the dirt section, I95-I395-Rt 1a is usually pretty smooth sailing. And if you'd like to avoid the dirt crap, you could always hop on 46 in Holden. That takes you right to Coastal Rt 1.

Also, I'm assuming you're planning a trip up Cadillac Mountain (highest point on the US Atlantic Coast). The view from the top is absolutely breathtaking, and the drive up to the peak, with its various twists and turns, is nothing short of a good time. :lol:

Gas prices right now are painful, usually around 2.55-2.67$/gal for 93 in this area, depending upon location.

With that being said, best of luck on your vacation! There are a few B5ers up here in the Pine Tree State, so let us know if you've got any other questions.
Enjoy your stay here in Maine! :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am at the "gateway" to Maine (York, 2nd town up over the border). I just paid $2.65/gallon for 93 octane at Mobil (my bimmer requires the good stuff).

Hey airwing, I work in Kennebunk. Who was asking you for $22/lb? They're nuts-that's a tourist trap! The other Mainers here on board will likely agree on that. Also, don't always go for the biggest lobster. The bigger they are, the older and tougher they are. I know many lobsterman around here-prices are up because the catch has been sluggish (prolly delayed due to cool rainy start to season). Prices begin to drop in the fall.

Have a great time! (Bring bug spray ;) )

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have been going to Acadia/Bar harbor for about 7 years and it never gets old. We spend all of our time in acadia and bike alot of the days. I was planning on bringing our bikes and kids tagalongs, but I know this may sound crazy, but with the cost of gas and the extra drag the bikes put on the car. I think we are just going to rent in Bar Harbor and use that great free transit bus to acadia. We are going to end our vacation in Cap Cod, staying at the kids favorite motel. The Cape Codder, they and me love the wave pool and waterslides. And after all vacations are no longer about us it is about the kids and having fun before good ol' school time. I can't beleive the price of lobster, what are they feeding them 93 octane gas???????

Michael

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the black flies gone??? Please say yes

·
Registered
31 Posts
Michael T Borelli said:
Are the black flies gone??? Please say yes
Yes. Mosquitos have eaten them all! ;)

I'll be in Bar Harbor Labor Day wkd w/y family. Doing mostly same-biking the trails.

Have fun!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Michael- Having driven the route through CT numerous times, I'm sure you know 95 is a real bear in CT/MA. I would suggest the Merritt/Wilbur Cross to I-91N, then 84E to I-90E to 290E to 495N, which gets you back on 95 in Salisbury and avoids the agony of the 128/95 trip around Boston. There's some work on 290 in Worcester, and minor work on the "double decker bridge" in Lawrence. After that, it's a pretty clear shot until you hit the dirt section in Holden/Ellsworth area. Plus if you have EZ-Pass, they just added it to the NH toll plaza. Have fun in Acadia, one of my favorite spots in NE.

Mike

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Acadia is a beautiful part of Vacationland. Think land-based activity. Latest water temp at east bouy off shore Bar Harbor is 54.1F . There basically three ways from I95 east to Ellsworth. Rt 1 from Brunswick, or Rt 3 from Augusta, or Rt 1a from Bangor-Brewer. I prefer rt 3, as it is faster than Rt 1 to Belfast. Campy offers good reason to avoid 1a. If you have EZ Pass toll, bring it. It's finaly accepted at NH Toll Plazas.
As for the gas prices...you really don't want to know what 93 octane is today, it could spoil your fun.

·
Registered
233 Posts
mainegasprices.com

Yeah, you don't want to know. I bought 93 premium at $2.66 :thumbdown. After the 5-cent/gal Sunday discount! Acadia :lol: is one my favorite places in the world (really) and other than biking, the hiking is amazing, best views of the ocean from the many peaks. Be sure to bring your bike rack. They have a bike shuttle, but there is only one of those and sometimes the regular buses racks get full.

I also recommend Rte 3 instead. Have fun! :cool:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats why I like this forum, you don't get good responses and tips like this from Mapquest. Thanks for the tip around boston, that part of the trip is a "you know what" and we always seem to end up there around rush hour. I will try to hit the pizza shop if I can. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Okay, i don't wanna come across harsh or anything but you guys seriously need to stop bitching about the gas prices. Out here in Cali i haven't paid under $2.75 for a gallon of 91 octane in quite some time. Right now most of the stations where i live are charging $3.09 and up.

What's up with this 93 octane?
I haven't ever seen 93 out here. it stops at 91.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Michael T Borelli said:
Thats why I like this forum, you don't get good responses and tips like this from Mapquest. Thanks for the tip around boston, that part of the trip is a "you know what" and we always seem to end up there around rush hour. I will try to hit the pizza shop if I can. Thanks again
I'm leaving for Disney Land with my son on Tuesday........ :(

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
mikeg1961 said:
Michael- Having driven the route through CT numerous times, I'm sure you know 95 is a real bear in CT/MA. I would suggest the Merritt/Wilbur Cross to I-91N, then 84E to I-90E to 290E to 495N, which gets you back on 95 in Salisbury and avoids the agony of the 128/95 trip around Boston. There's some work on 290 in Worcester, and minor work on the "double decker bridge" in Lawrence. After that, it's a pretty clear shot until you hit the dirt section in Holden/Ellsworth area. Plus if you have EZ-Pass, they just added it to the NH toll plaza. Have fun in Acadia, one of my favorite spots in NE.

Mike

Excellent directions - this is the route I always take as well and its by far the best route. 495N can be a bit of a bitch depending on what time and where you are but still much better than the Mass Pike to 128/95 route.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts