Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine been making ticking noise for about two weeks and it is NOT N80. Took it to the dealer and talked to one or the mechanics who said it shouldn't be making that much noise if I have been running Mobil 1 the entire time I have had the car. Said it is a clogged oil pickup. He told me there is nothing to be done but change the oil pump. :cry: I think everyone on this site is suspisious of the stealership but this guy has never steared me wrong, but this time I don't think he has it right. is there an additive to take the crap out of the pickup or is he right.

1.8T, '99 5-spd, 175K miles on my baby. Only has to last until I get my TDI :D :D

Help

·
Registered
315 Posts
well... i recently changed my oil pump due to the same description you provided. if i were you id get it done soon... cause if you wait to long the pick up will keep gettin even more clogged and before you know it instead of just replacing an oil pump ur gonna be doing a complete head job... and trust me thats not fun!

hope my info helps out.

-Ricker

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
O.K. your mechanic may be onto something. I replaced the oil-pump in a 2001 GTI that was poorly maintained, but seeing that your car has almost 200K miles it may be that time. You should contact Adirondak Auto Parts, aka GermanAutoParts.com and buy a new oil-pump with screens for about $180.00US. I also would recommend a full Engine Purge/Flush and or Oil-Pan replacement to remove any signs of sludging.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I have a 1.8T AWM. My mecahnic was able to do a simple view of the intake screen by removing the oil level thermal sensor on the bottom of the pan. Does anybody know if you can do this on the AEBs ATWs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
ericpeterman
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing