Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
timing pull
How do I know this is happening? Never owned a turbo before.

Also, went for a longer drive. 15 miles. Highway, back roads, couple red lights. Hovered between 195 and 205, and watching the temp drop sharply I am fairly certain I finally saw the thermostat open!

Fingers crossed I finally have this ridiculousness sorted.

·
Registered
26,803 Posts
You would need to scan it for timing pull. I don't know what screen as I've never checked it.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,727 Posts
I'll have to get my a/c recharged after I did the heater core. I'll get to it. Not a priority right now though.
With the weather we're having, it will be tough to clear the fog off the inside of the windows when it rains. I drove a B5 without A/C for almost 2 years of and on, alongside my wagon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
With the weather we're having, it will be tough to clear the fog off the inside of the windows when it rains. I drove a B5 without A/C for almost 2 years of and on, alongside my wagon.
I guess I'll have to get it recharged. Once I am sure my overheating issue is solved. No problem on my way in today though, and it was raining.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well she made it home with no issues. I'm going to go on a limb and say she's sorted. Big thanks to all of you but a huge call out to @cchief22 and @VAGguy for sticking with me through this. Next step is to flush the water out and refill with actual coolant. Hopefully nothing goes wrong there!

There she is next to her brother, who is jealous he didn't get to come to work with me today.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,727 Posts
Awesome! Come up and I’ll give you a replacement for that missing left fog light grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
So I'm hesitating. Is there any reason I shouldn't drain the water and put in coolant? I'm afraid to open the system again now that it's working! 😰

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes you should use coolant, Bentley says do not use straight water (see pics). Make sure the ratio is correct and the water is distilled. Passat coolant comes full strength but the system expects 50/50 (with some tolerance).

coolant_check_1.jpg coolant_check_2.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thank you for the pages. I do know I SHOULD use coolant but I'm paranoid about opening the system now that it's working! But I suppose I should. I have the pre diluted pink stuff from Peak I'll be using.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, now that all of the old G-12/etc is flushed from your system, there's no reason not to switch over to traditional anti-freeze. I went to Peak Long-life.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You DEFINITELY MUST use coolant. If you're worried about air bubbles make sure to fill it properly.

Pull back on the heater hose that has the hole in it so that the hole is exposed (like you can stick a paperclip in it) but also that the hose is still on the nipple. Surround it with paper towel or something to catch the stream of coolant that will gurgle out.

coolant hose hole lets air escape.jpg

Unfasten the reservoir tank and disconnect the coolant sensor on the bottom. Raise the tank in the air so the water level is above the height of that hose hole and then add coolant (or add then raise/tilt whatever).

The idea is you want the air to escape.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
@passat03wagon my hose doesn't have that hole. Went away with the new heater core. I have the flush and fill T fitting there now. I'll vacuum fill with my air lift tool, close it up and top off the last once or so at that hose.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,727 Posts
@passat03wagon my hose doesn't have that hole. Went away with the new heater core. I have the flush and fill T fitting there now. I'll vacuum fill with my air lift tool, close it up and top off the last once or so at that hose.
I seriously doubt there is anyone on this forum that has drain-flushed-bled their cooling system more times than you have . I think you’re a pro by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 100 Posts