Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me in the best direction for purchasing a set of heavy duty rear coil springs for my 2005 Passat TDI Wagon?

I pull a small 4x6 enclosed trailer and I have two dogs that ride in the rear cargo area. I need a bit more spring so that my 500 pounds of gear in the trailer does not sack out the back end of my car.

I want to maintain or slightly increase the ride height and install a good high quality rear spring for towing my trailer. I do not want it to look like Bubba's Chevy truck "lifted" or a Corvette (low to ground).

Any input of source for these springs would be appreciated. European import is not a problem if you know where and whom to call.

Thanks
Deming

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I don't know of any springs that stiffen without lowering but the Bilstein HD shocks should work nicely for you, check them out here. :thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HMMMM. Maybe I will call Nuespeed on Monday and ask them the question.

I can have custom coil springs made. What do you think??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bilstein was absolutely no help at all! I even called Eibach and they are willing to custom make me rear coil springs that are heavy duty for towing and hauling extra gear at $500 per spring.

Someone in the aftermarket world has got to have rear coil springs (HD) for the Passat wagon. I am not the only guy that hauls gear and pulls a trailer with my TDI Wagon!!

I could use some help here.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about getting the springs if you don't want to lower because you're not going to find them. I have heard the HD bilsteins do a good job of stiffening up the ride so they should be fine for you.

However, if you could go 3/4" lower the 1BE setup would work good for you. It is the sport suspension offered on the A4 in the states and on the Passat overseas.

·
Registered
396 Posts
x2 - best option would be to go with 1BE springs. Do the fronts as well or it will ride funny, bouncy in the front and stiff in the back.

The factory spec for the TDI wagon rear weight is rated at 634 kg and the 1BA rear springs on your car should be OYF (620-649 kg).
If you go with the 1BE OYF springs, it is rated at 726-760 kg. This is about 120 lbs more load rating.

This combined with the Bilstein shocks should do the trick. By the way for the B5.5, the Bilstein sports are same as the B5 HD version (standard shaft length).

You can get the VW 1BE springs from Richie @ Autobarn MP with Passatworld discount and Bilsteins from the group buy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree on the Bilstein sports as they are a terriffic product.
I am not too keen on replacing perectly good shocks/struts on a low mile car!

I did find a mfg. in Kansas City who is willing to custom make me HD rear coil springs with a 200 # rear load rating. They will raise the rear height by about .50 of an inch. Price is $200 per spring and manufacturing lead time is 3 weeks. BTW--They are "Made in America" with U.S steel and it is a Union shop and a supplier to Ford and Honda.

This is the route I decided to go and I already places an order for two sets of rear Coil springs and they will be sprayed with Epoxy based primer and painted semi gloss black at no charge.

Thanks for all of your replies and assistance.

Deming

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree on the Bilstein sports as they are a terriffic product.
I am not too keen on replacing perectly good shocks/struts on a low mile car!

I did find a mfg. in Kansas City who is willing to custom make me HD rear coil springs with a 200 # rear load rating. They will raise the rear height by about .50 of an inch. Price is $200 per spring and manufacturing lead time is 3 weeks. BTW--They are "Made in America" with U.S steel and it is a Union shop and a supplier to Ford and Honda.

This is the route I decided to go and I already places an order for two sets of rear Coil springs and they will be sprayed with Epoxy based primer and painted semi gloss black at no charge.

Thanks for all of your replies and assistance.

Deming

Hello any chance we can get an update on how the springs turned out? I'm looking to do the same. What was the company in Kansas that u used? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Hello any chance we can get an update on how the springs turned out? I'm looking to do the same. What was the company in Kansas that u used? Much appreciated.
His last post was about 5 years ago. The 1BE springs listed above do carry weight better than stock springs, I used to have them on my wagon many years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts