Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Haynes is better for a newbie, but I agree that both together are best.

Haynes manuals also tend to spell out tricky procedures and how to deal with them, unlike the Bentley which presumes you have a lift, and a full set of VW special tools.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have the Chilton manual. It's really quite good with lots of photos and helpful hints. The Chilton Passat manual is better than their Ford Windstar manual for some reason. In the Passat manual procedures if a step says, "Remove X" they will tell you what section to turn to. In the Windstar they don't consistently.

One thing: The Chilton's provides little info on servicing the Tip tranny because it's "sealed". So draining, refilling, pan removal and filter replacement are procedures you have to get from ClubB5. :bow:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, well so far I am leaning towards Haynes, but will have to compare to the Chilton manual if I can get a hold of one.

I forgot to mention that I have a V6, and was wondering if one manual was better for the V6 vs. the 1.8t

Thanks for the responses so far.

btw, I know both manuals are good to have, but I don't want to go overboard with the $$$

·
Registered
774 Posts
Chilton and Haynes are the same thing. However, as a Haynes owner I have to say I really miss the detail of a Bentley.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.