Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But the mechanic (all german car repair place) said not to worry about changing the waterpump & thermo unless they look\sound like they are not functioning properly.

they guy gave me what i think is a good price for all the timing belt compoments and other belts. he says the waterpump doesnt need to be done (car only has 69K on it) then why bother?

i know the front end will be open and such, but i dont really have the extra cash if it's not 'really' needed.

anyone out there heard this before and just done the timing belt components?

the guy actually came out to my car and looked under the hood with me and answered my questions, so at least he was willing to talk about the work then just blow me off.

further he said if the waterpump goes in the future, it WILL NOT case major damage to engine \ timing belt and it can be replaced as its own job. he said hes done 3 audi\vw timing belt jobs this week and that's how he's done them with no problems.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I recently got a timing belt kit and replaced it all except the water pump and the thermostat, i would not worry about it unless they act up

·
Registered
37 Posts
Flash4o,

this is actually a good point that I wanted cleared up as well. I'm not trying to steal your thread at all, since in fact we have the same question.

i have heard some say that if the waterpump goes then it will throw off the tb, and we all know what happens after that. conversely, i've heard that the waterpump's failing is isolated breakage, meaning its failure causes no auxillary damage.

i too would like a concrete answer on this. anyone...the rust master? atomic alex? anyone?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
There is no way it could throw off the belt, i have a ATW engine and the water pump has a completely different belt.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is a JOKE - RIGHT????

If you have a 1.8T the Waterpump has a plastic impeller that breaks down and is driven by the TB - which if broken WILL COST YOU BIG.
My WP was crap at 67K. Now the thermostat could probably wait. Just do it all yourself ... It is fun and you bond with you car. I studied up for about a month and was glad I did it myself - knowing it was done right for about 3 hundred for everything -- parts at dieselgeek.com.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is why there is confusion.

Some say the waterpump won't affect the timing belt while say it will.

I asked the mechanic this exact question

- in fact I worded it as such;

If the waterpump fails or breaks down the raod (after the TB job) will it casue any major damage?
The mechanic said not to worry and if it isnt weeping or making any odd sounds, when I bring in the car to leave it.
Then I said it can be replaced by itself down the road if it breaks without there being (i used the word major) damage? and he said that's true.

I guess the mystery continues. I will however go over this in detail with him tomorrow morning before he starts.

I dont want to leave anythigng to chance and I'm not one to do or have a 1\2 ass job done. If the waterpump needs to be done bc it could ruin the engine if it blows, I will def pay to have it done.

ps - mine is 1.8T AEB with 69K miles.

·
Registered
556 Posts
AEB & ATW - Water pump is NOT driven by the timing belt, and can be replaced without having to remove the TB.

AWM & all V6 motors - The Water pump IS driven by the timing belt and can not be replaced without removing the timing belt.

I NEVER let a customer replace the timing belt without also replacing the water pump. You are paying for the car to be take a part, so it is just the cost of the part (water pump) and about 30 minutes of labor.

Personally, I think it is foolish not to do it all at one time. Why pay labor twice if you do not have to.

Also if the water pump shaft bends it can take out the timing system on the AWM and V6 cars. Not good.

HTH - Randy

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AEB & ATW - Water pump is NOT driven by the timing belt, and can be replaced without having to remove the TB.

AWM & all V6 motors - The Water pump IS driven by the timing belt and can not be replaced without removing the timing belt.

I NEVER let a customer replace the timing belt without also replacing the water pump. You are paying for the car to be take a part, so it is just the cost of the part (water pump) and about 30 minutes of labor.

Personally, I think it is foolish not to do it all at one time. Why pay labor twice if you do not have to.

Also if the water pump shaft bends it can take out the timing system on the AWM and V6 cars. Not good.

HTH - Randy

Thank you!
Now with an AEB engine with only 69K miles on it, do you really think a waterpump would be that far past its life span to warrant replacement? even if the front end is all opened up??

·
Registered
11,873 Posts

HTH - Randy
Randy, I know you know your stuff but,

Don't you have to remove the intermediate pulley for the timing belt to access all the screws for removing the water pump front.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Flash4o - change the waterpump here is why....

purplezr2 - You can replace the entire waterpump housing on an AEB/ATW without having to touch the TB, but it is much more expensive then just doing the waterpump when you do the TB job. Another reason to do it all at one.

HTH - Randy

·
Registered
37 Posts

HTH - Randy
good, so if the waterpump goes on my AEB then it won't kill my timing belt, very good to know. thank you so much people

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I would still just change it while you have it all there. If you are taking the car to a mechanic to get the TB done, Im assuming you will take it to a mechanic when your water pump goes. Save yourself 2 hours of labor and do it now.

thats my opinion

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Flash4o - change the waterpump here is why....

purplezr2 - You can replace the entire waterpump housing on an AEB/ATW without having to touch the TB, but it is much more expensive then just doing the waterpump when you do the TB job. Another reason to do it all at one.

HTH - Randy

Your right:) , I forgot you can unbolt the whole assembly.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
If you must get into service position to do the WP do it.
In my experence VW WPs are like glass. Unless you can do your own work and have the time to do it later, i'd do it now.
The WP is like $100-200 and labor's like $50 now or $300-600 depending on how faar they feel like bending you over later.
Do the themostat too.
If you've had the same coolant for 4 years, do that with teh WP.
Same with ATF, it wanted to be done at 60k.
The pone exceptionb to the Wp is if you still have the 10/100 powertrain warranty (aka bought the car new). Then, I'd risk it for the few miles after 100k to the next change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts