Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using verizon dsl, w/ Norton anti-virus, and a parasite scanner called Spyhunter. Usually my internet connection is pretty good, however, almost every 24hrs or so, my computer slows down quite a bit when I try to get to a new website, and redirects me to this site called 'perfectnav.com', some lame-ass search engine I never use or assigned. I then use the parasite scanner, and it turns out that the culprit is a parasite thrown in from a spamming company called 'cydoor.com'.

After I remove the parasite (from my parastie scanning software), I no longer have the problem anymore. However, somehow cydoor manages to throw in another parasite within the next 24hrs or less. It's really annoying to do a scan every so often.

On another level, just WTH good is Norton doing if it can't block such parasites? Are there better software out there that actully blocks parasites in the first place? Pls help me out, thanks!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no problem removing the parasite, it's just that the thing keeps on coming back all the time. I use Spyhunter v 1.5.81 I downloaded from the internet to scan and remove the parasite. It's just getting really annoying to have to do it every day.

I hope someone would hack cydoor/perfectnav have them taste some of their own medicine. Is there any way to prevent the parasite from infesting my computer in the first place? Are there any products out there that can block parasites?

RTENKE- sorry I have no idea what firewall software is. What does it do?

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
if it keeps coming back, then you haven't really removed it. Please, follow the above directions and they'll be able to remove it PERMANENTLY....

a lot of these bugs have dropped dll's and random files that a adaware and other spybot killers CANNOT kill. If you'll just spend a few minutes on www.amazingtechs.com and you'll see that you are not alone. A quick post of your log and someone will be able to help you permanently get rid of it.

a free firewall like zonealarm essentially restricts outside hackers from pinging your computer AND allows you to determine which programs on your computer you want to allow gain access to the net.

- Julian

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see, so the software I had prob really did not fully get rid of the parasite. I'll definetly give the amazingtechs.com a try next time my computer get infested!

The firewall software seems like a good idea, do you have any you could recommend? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
ronaldmcdonald said:
I see, so the software I had prob really did not fully get rid of the parasite. I'll definetly give the amazingtechs.com a try next time my computer get infested!

The firewall software seems like a good idea, do you have any you could recommend? Thanks!
Zone Alarm - www.zonealarm.com - it's free!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
While you're at it, drop about $100 on a hardware router/firewall/switch combo. Check out D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, for starters. The router handles the DSL connection and you get to have a private IP address behind the router... much harder to hack. Also, you don't need your ISP's software running on your computer, since the router handles the DSL connection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts