Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I use the city light and sometime plus the fog as my DRL. Get yourself a euro-switch, and disable the DRL by placing tape on one of the contact on the switch itself or pull the 173 fuse.

- First twist activates the city light
- Second twist activates the city light + low beam
- First pull activates the fog

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
City lights really won't substitute for drl's. They are nowhere near as bright, and were never intended for that use. Just disable the drl's and then turn on your headlights when you're in a "need to be visible" situation.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah.. that's what my other alternative was. but cant seem to find an euroswtich even in GB. Thiago doesnt have any in stock. with the euroswitch, should i still pull out relay 173? i vaguely remember reading some mods to the switch. are they necessary?

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vuvision said:
ycharlies said:
ah.. that's what my other alternative was. but cant seem to find an euroswtich even in GB. Thiago doesnt have any in stock. with the euroswitch, should i still pull out relay 173? i vaguely remember reading some mods to the switch. are they necessary?
Euroswitch GB from Senna
yea, that's thiago. still out of stock.... :(

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would like to do that too, but it still requires a first twist to activate the citylights as DRL's, rather, is there a way so that when engine's turned on, the citylights comes on as well w/o the manual switching?

·
Registered
506 Posts
ycharlies said:
Will this require some sort of rewiring? i am about to pull out relay 173 for disabling my HIDS as DRL, but it would be a nice touch if i can have my citylight leds on as DRL. any ideas?
I had the same question and answers pointed to the Euroswitch. There would be a lil bit of rewiring that would need to be done, something that I was not willing to do. So instead of that idea I pulled the 173 relay and went with the switch.

HTH

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^They all look like that. Save the relay for when you sell the car (hopefully not for many years).

·
Registered
292 Posts
You an also just pull off the prongs on the back ot the OEM switch and obtain the same results. But you can never go back with this method... :nervous:

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
RAWERW said:
You an also just pull off the prongs on the back ot the OEM switch and obtain the same results. But you can never go back with this method... :nervous:
Or you can simple wrap that prong with thin tape ... works just as well for me.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
vuvision said:
RAWERW said:
Or you can simple wrap that prong with thin tape ... works just as well for me.

Or you can bend the pins. :) Just don't bend and unbend constantly or you'll fatigue the metal.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I use LED's in my citylight, and have it wired to come on in the front fog position.

This is a pic of the 4LED blues, but I recently bought 6LED whites to replace them. The blues are nowhere near bright enough to work as DRL's

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
l5gcw0b said:
I use LED's in my citylight, and have it wired to come on in the front fog position.

This is a pic of the 4LED blues, but I recently bought 6LED whites to replace them. The blues are nowhere near bright enough to work as DRL's
yea.. but it'll be nice to look at. hehe

·
Registered
382 Posts
I installed the euro, pulled the 173 and replaced the stock city bulb with a bright white led bulb from superbrightleds.com they are plenty bright even in the daytime, the bulb I have has 6leds not 4 so it is a tad brighter. It compliments my Hoen low beams nicely. I had the blue led from them but I got stopped 2x by the man. "blue forward facing is illeagle in MA....so the blue leds are now my interior ilumination...looks cool.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.