Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2003 1.8t with an AT. Wanting to change the heater core by pulling the dash out as a complete unit (the fast way). I have done this before and it worked great. But this time I am stuck. I have done everything on the youtube video except removing the nut from the wiper mechanism (I dont see any need to do that). The dash however, still seems to be connected somewhere around the middle, towards the driver side.

The question I have is whether there is some additional connection point on a car with automatic trans? The video and the car I did this on previously are both manuals.

Has anyone done this procedure on an AT car before?

·
Registered
26,831 Posts
I've done it, but it was a B5 models only. No difference between them apart from some extra wiring at the clutch.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it turns out it was the 10mm bolt under the cowl in the engine compartment. :facepalm: I do not recall removing that on the car I did 2 years ago and wow, it really is way up under there! Did not comprehend the placement when I first watched the video. Oh well, the job is done now!

I did note a couple of things when searching around under the dash:

The wire for the blower motor, shown at :46 in the video and the two bolts above the glove box, shown at :58 in the video, do not actually have to be removed because these all move together with the dashboard.

This job is truly not that bad IF you note ALL the bolts to be removed! ;)

I did have it a little easier because I had already removed the windshield for replacement, so I was able to leave all of the driver's-side wiring in place (with the exception of the wiring under the ECM) and swing the passenger side of the dash enough to pull the core out from the top.;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts