Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have stock suspension, I was wondering if it was worth getting a rear sway bar(two bars are in group buys right now) at this point in time.

I'm not sure how many of you have had a rear sway with stock suspension.

I would think the sway bar would help even more in my case, but I was hoping somebody can enlighten me.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
It is worth to have it. Task of bar is to reduce body leaning (i.e. sway) and improve contact of tires with road.You can better judge improvement in handling,from bar, with stock suspension than with aftermarket.
Good choice is adjustable bar so you can choose what is better suited to your driving style.

·
0 Posts
I agree with nenad, if you want to have nice flat more controlable ride through the twisties its the only way to go. Sway bars turn the passat into a whole different animal! You definitely should get adjustable bars so you can have the option of fine tuning bars.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well I need help settling another thing while we're at it then.

Neuspeed Bar:

Pros:
Adjustable, No drilling required for install
Cons: Weight?, Price

Autotech Bar:

Pros:
Lighter(Suppossedly), Price
Cons: Not adjustable, drilling required for install

Now if I could find a lightweight adjustable sway bar with no drilling required for install and could get it for a reasonable price, then I would have no problem. But I guess things are never that easy.

I think I can get over the drilling part.

What I really need to decide is the weight/price over adjustability. Meaning, the autotech bar is lighter(but supposedly equally as strong), but the neuspeed bar is adjustable.

All the cars that I have ever driven have all hade tremendous amounts of understeer. So maybe my inexpierence should push towards an adjustable bar?

Which way would you guys go and why?

·
0 Posts
my choice!

Neuspeed Bar:

Pros: Adjustable, No drilling required for install

Unless your tossing out your ac and back seats and building some kind of hyper light sports sedan, the weight penalty is minor compared to the solid feeling it gives you while your driving. i have the 28mm bar and i love it.

no drilling, no squeaking, muss no fuss! Imho!

·
Registered
26,817 Posts
I went with the Neuspeed since I did not want to drill. You will be happy
with either bar. Even with springs and shocks,it makes a world of
difference.
PZ.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I personally have Autotech, no drilling BUT for 4Mo.
For you, I agree with 20vvillian and PZ go for Neuspeed. Lightweight means nothing in our case, we do not race so we do not need extra 200-300 grams shaved from weight,B5 is anyway fat pig (it is familly sedan,afterall). Do not bother yourself, go for adjustable, no drills and you will not regret.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've just had a 28mm neuspeed installed, though my suspension is an aftermarket FK setup that lowered more than two inches. There's no doubt, though, that the bar has an incredible impact. The handling is flat, neutral, amazing through curves and sweeping turns. I'm too much a coward to really push it to its limits, given how used I am to understeer in front drivers.
The tradeoff is a stiffer, even harsher ride, though I don't know how evident this would be with a stock setup. I have my bar set in the middle setting. Adjusting the setting is very simple.
Install was more complex. I'm glad I left it to Tomas Tuning. They used my car as a learning curve. Can't imagine install is feasible without a lift.
A group buy on both Neuspeed and Autotech bars may still be in play.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,649 Posts
JokerUNM said:

Neuspeed Bar:

Pros:

Autotech Bar:

Pros:

Now if I could find a lightweight adjustable sway bar with no drilling required for install and could get it for a reasonable price, then I would have no problem. But I guess things are never that easy.

What I really need to decide is the weight/price over adjustability. Meaning, the autotech bar is lighter(but supposedly equally as strong), but the neuspeed bar is adjustable.

All the cars that I have ever driven have all hade tremendous amounts of understeer. So maybe my inexpierence should push towards an adjustable bar?

How do these compare with Dick Shine's sway bar? I realize that you need to drill but what are the pros/cons here? Being in the east I can get it installed very easily by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
JokerUNM said:

Neuspeed Bar:

Pros:

Autotech Bar:

Pros:

You will notice the difference right away when you have the rear bar on (any ones') even with stock suspension - understeer way down/eliminated and much less roll.

I have had the Neuspeed 28mm bar on my wagen for over a year on stock suspension at the mid-setting so I can only comment on this bar. The advantage that I see with the Neuspeed bar is that its adjustable and that comes into play when you want to tune your steering when you change your suspension setup (read on). I also have the a LTB - Lower Tie Bar (AndyBar) - and this also enhances the sharpness of the steeringa great deal. As I understand it, the (anti) sway bars and LTB's affects the steering.

I just had an Eibach Pro-System installed this weekend and had my rear bar re-set to the striffest setting. When I was running stock suspension, I did not want to "overextend" myself with an aggressive rear bar setup just in case my suspension was not up to it. After just a few days with new setup, the stiffest setting "feels' just right. My 0.02 worth.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great, I guess I have my answer, just didn't want to buy anything that I didn't have the pre-reqs for.

I do plan to upgrade my suspension at some point, so the adjustablitlity of the neuspeed bar will come in handy, I guess it's well worth the price then.

Thanks guys..

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
One more vote for the Neuspeed. I have it, it works, 'nuff said. Lemme know if you want some help installing. Lift not necessary, but ramps are a must.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts