Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a few searches and came up empty. I have a '03 2.8 4Motion. Have had a check engine light since day 1 and got tired of fixing it so just ignore the light.
It now has driveability issues which makes it so the wife won't drive it. Climate control issues are what started it, but now it intermittedly will not
restart when hot. When it cools off completely, it starts like a champ. The temp guage has worked intermittedly and now has stopped working completely.
I have replaced the temp sensor on the lower rad hose outlet, but didn't fix anything. It has the usual cat converter efficenty faults, and evap issues,
which I don't believe are the causes. The constant is the p2181. Yesterday after a hot/warm restart, it idled at 1500 in gear and felt like the trans was
dropping in and out of gear. It stopped and went back to normal operation after approx. 1-2 miles of driving. The water pump, thermostat, and heater core
have all been replaced. Any ideas?

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are 2 temp sensor the lower one that you changed which i don’t think would cause any starting issues but there is another one behind the cylinder head right at the firewall that is what controls the temp gauge and if that is sending inaccurate readings to the ECU saying the car is hot when it is cold it will try to do a cold start vice versa you can start there. That happened to my old 2.8 i had changed that sensor problem fixed.

·
Registered
9,230 Posts
^x2
The part that you replaced is the Coolant Fan Temp Switch, it would not have any effect on starting. If you put a CTS in there you must replace it with the correct part.
A faulty CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor) is almost certainly the cause of your problem, replace the CTS behind the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Part installed and driven for a week or so. The restart issue is fixed! At least the car can be trusted to be driven again. Temp gauge is happy and works all the time now. Was hoping that the climate control issue would have been addressed also, but apparently, that was asking for too much. Thanks for your help once again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts