Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a hatch blend peice for my 2004 wagon. I am having trouble finding a shop to install and paint this part.

I did find a shop to paint it, but not install.

Can someone give me an idea of what I should use to secure this part to the car? It did not come with any glue or fasteners. Any help would be appreciated.

Also any suggestion for a good paint and body shop in Dallas?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I've never seen that part before; it looks like a nice mod. It smooths out the lines of the hatch to bumper transition pretty well - not to mention it would cover a nice dent that is in the bottom edge of my wagon's hatch. I would guess it should be attached using a 2-face tape product such as the 3M mounting tape used on some sunroom visors. I am surprised the manufacturer didn't give you any installation information.

I am sure others who have more body work experience will chime in.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Key return

quality_sound said:
if you can't install it you shouldn't even be driving. you can use either the GOOD 3M body tape or some urethane.
Where do i turn my keys in?

I figured 3m tape, but the part is not a perfect fit and I want to make sure that it is on correctly. It looks like it needs to be sanded and since the part is plastic I wasn't sure if there was a special filler I would need to use. PLASTIC parts are new too me since most of the mods on other cars in the past have been sheet metal. I would prefer a welder over tape.

Do you have any close-up pictures with the hatch open?

Is there a gap from the top of the blend or on the sides?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
What brand did you get? Mine needed sanding as the surface wasn't completely smooth. It's comes with that black glue for a more permanent install. I used 3M tape instead.
As for the gap, there is a 1mm gap between the contact surfaces of the blend and the hatch. I'd get it molded in if I had the time or money.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have never done this mod and I don't have a wagon, but in my opinion the best way to do this would be 3M tape on the outside and from the inside of the hatch behind the panel use screws to grab ahold of it on the inside. That way when dirt and water get in there it doesn't end up falling off from the tape losing its stickyness. Also if you have the money go ahead and have the hatch piece blended for the real finished off look

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
There really isn't room to get any screws in from the inside. Also, if you tape all the way around there won't be a water issue. Last, blending a plastic piece onto metal on a daily driven car isn't a good idea. You're just begging for the to crack the paint.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There really isn't room to get any screws in from the inside.
Is there a way to remove the paneling on the inside of the hatch?

Also, if you tape all the way around there won't be a water issue.
I used 3M tape on my old car and because of the Texas heat during the summer I had issues with those parts falling off. The way that I solved that problem was by removing the door panels and using screws to hold it in place in conjuction with 3M tape. (was a very good fix to the problem)

Last, blending a plastic piece onto metal on a daily driven car isn't a good idea. You're just begging to crack the paint.
I also had all the parts on the car molded to make the car body panels look like one piece, some were plastic, some were not. Never had a problem and the car was daily driven.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Is there a way to remove the paneling on the inside of the hatch?
Yes. Mine is out now but there's an inner sheetmetal piece that may get in the way. When I get the car back to night i'll get some pics up.

I used 3M tape on my old car and because of the Texas heat during the summer I had issues with those parts falling off. The way that I solved that problem was by removing the door panels and using screws to hold it in place in conjuction with 3M tape. (was a very good fix to the problem)
Urethane would be a better option and wouldn't destroy the hatch.

I also had all the parts on the car molded to make the car body panels look like one piece, some were plastic, some were not. Never had a problem and the car was daily driven.
Again, not something I would do. A plastic piece won't shrink and expand with temperature variations like the hatch would. You can do it...I wouldn't.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I agree. Urethane is what Votex supplies for their kits and you don't see anyone having issues with that anywhere.

BTW, My hatch blend showed up yesterday, 24 business days after I ordered it. Katja at TMT told 20 business days and that it would be here the week of the 11th, but this was pretty close. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts