Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read quite a few posts about erratic fuel gauges. Mine has been problematic for the last year or so. It will stay pegged on full after 80 miles of driving(at about 20MPG of around town driving, I burned probably 4 gallons of gas) and then start to drop down. It did this for a while and then I switched to chevron and it was fine for a while. Now it's started acting up again. This last time I got gas right after it beeped at me and I only had 1 gallon left in the tank. Usually if I got gas right when it beeped I would be lucky to get 13 gallons in it. Since it kind of works I'm hesitant to get it replaced with another unit that is going to have the same problem. I have read that the additives in the fuel are causing it to corrode.

Anybody know if they have updated the part to solve this issue?

I have a 2001.5 BTW....when are we going to get sigs, :mad:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here... :nervous:

Since I've gotten into new cars (vs. the 60's and 70's) I've noticed that my fuel will be pegged either at the top end or bottom. One thing that was explained to me was the shape of the gas tanks.

New cars have accessories crammed into them. The new shape of the modern gas tank conforms to the area it resides in. Thus, the top of the tank my be bigger than the bottom or visa versa.

On my Corrado, the gas would go from full to half in no time, but from half to empty I felt like I could drive around the world.

The only thing I worried about was what I was getting per "tank" full. If I was hitting 400 miles per tank, I was good to go. Anything less was an indicator for tuneup or the likes.

Hope that helps....

Oh...and the tanks in the older cars were more or less rectangular, so fuel consumption seemed consistant.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It used to work fine, the wierd thing is that it's changed. It used to come off full withing about 20 miles of driving. Now it will drift down a little while you are driving, but next time you start it, it will go right back up to full.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If that's the case, then I agree that something is not quite right :roll: ...

I'm not sure if a diagnois can be done on isolating the fuel gauge.

Right now my :b5: goes from full to 3/4 of a tank in 15 miles. Almost like there's a hole in my gas tank.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this one :?

I wouldn't be too worried if on my trip I get consistant mileage.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I believe that the replacement part (fuel sender) has been "updated" or is otherwise resistant to the problems that the OEM one had in my 2001.5. As I understand it, the fuel sender was corroding or oxidising from the fuel in the tank... apparently our formulation in the states (or just CA?) is different enough from Germany that it causes problems.

VW should have done their damned homework and not had the problem in the first place. Anyway, I hope that the new fuel sender that I paid for won't have the same stupid problem.

From the posts I've heard (of which there are many), it seems like it takes 20-30k miles before problems with the fuel sender start appearing. We may have to wait a while before we find out if those fools at VW have updated the part in 2003-2004 MY Passats. I don't have any faith, however, because other problems that I had with my car are still showing up in new Passats. Seat frame squeaks and clunks, any one? VW does a terrible job fixing problems between model years, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good to know it's possibly resolved. I started have problems probably about 15K miles. Next time I'm at the dealer, I'll get it fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
not_too_shabby
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing