Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car has been peeling clear coat for over 5 years now. It started with the hood, which I eventually completely peeled, and then had a shop repaint it. It came out great, but it was very $$. The roof is now in terrible shape, and it will cost even more to paint that.

I've been looking at some of the Plasti Dip threads and it looks interesting. Then I saw some entire cars painted with the stuff, or hoods, etc. I didn't know that was possible. Is this just a really bad bandaid for my problem, or should I seriously consider it? How much would it cost to do the roof? Has anyone done it to their passat? Pics?

Also, how exactly does Plasti Dip adhere to the underlying surface? Would I really need to peel up all the clear coat and sand, like with paint? Or can I just spray it, and if I don't like how it comes out, peel it up and go back to the lousy clearcoat look?

·
rockin the nasty azz exhaust tips yo!!
1,526 Posts
I have yet to do my roof (seriously considering it though) but I have done my rub strips and I tried to do the roof of a friends Mustang.

Out of the typical spray can it will not look good. Although its very nice at smoothing out and blending, on a large roof you will still get uneven spots (thats what happened with my friends mustang)

When you spray it on something smooth (i.e. my rub strips or your roof) it will be easy to just peel it off if you don't like it. Sanding the roof shouldn't be necessary but you may want to peel the rest of the clear coat so the base will be smooth for the dip, also clean the roof very very well to insure it holds for a long time.

As long as you don't have rust that can build under the plasti-dip I would seriously consider this. It can't hurt and you can always peel it off.

The way they got a smooth coat on a full car coat is by using this pre-thinned dip from dipyourcar.com this uses a spray gun with the thinner solution to give a smooth and even finish. Check out some of their you-tube videos to get a better idea about it but I say go for it :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have yet to do my roof (seriously considering it though) but I have done my rub strips and I tried to do the roof of a friends Mustang.

Out of the typical spray can it will not look good. Although its very nice at smoothing out and blending, on a large roof you will still get uneven spots (thats what happened with my friends mustang)

When you spray it on something smooth (i.e. my rub strips or your roof) it will be easy to just peel it off if you don't like it. Sanding the roof shouldn't be necessary but you may want to peel the rest of the clear coat so the base will be smooth for the dip, also clean the roof very very well to insure it holds for a long time.

As long as you don't have rust that can build under the plasti-dip I would seriously consider this. It can't hurt and you can always peel it off.

The way they got a smooth coat on a full car coat is by using this pre-thinned dip from dipyourcar.com this uses a spray gun with the thinner solution to give a smooth and even finish. Check out some of their you-tube videos to get a better idea about it but I say go for it :thumbup:
So is there a cheap, better sprayer that can be used with the thinner solution? I read somewhere about $299 for an entire car kit, but I only need to do the roof.

I only have a pea-sized chip with rust on the roof - which I intend on putting primer on in the next few weeks. So, no issues there.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,905 Posts
Get a vinyl wrap, tint shops do them for $99 installed, will look 10x better, no effort required, and will last longer.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a vinyl wrap, tint shops do them for $99 installed, will look 10x better, no effort required, and will last longer.
Yes, I also saw a little discussion of vinyl wrap. If I went that direction, any idea how I would need to prep the roof? You think I would need to peel off all the clearcoat? How long does vinyl typically last?

·
13,905 Posts
Yes, I also saw a little discussion of vinyl wrap. If I went that direction, any idea how I would need to prep the roof? You think I would need to peel off all the clear coat? How long does vinyl typically last?
There isn't any prep aside from cleaning the mating surface (if your clear coat is really flaking, maybe taking off anything that will leave surface irregularities) and then laying down the vinyl. How long it lasts depends on what vinyl brand/model you go with. Oracal, 3M, etc are good brands

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with these guys. I have experience painting hoods and bumpers with Pasti-Dip. I can tell you that it will NOT come out even. There will be streaks and, depending on how thick you lay it down, it may become blotchy. Also, alot of people say you can just "peel it off if you change your mind".. Easier said than done. It is a real pain to get it off. It never comes off in one big sheet like they say.

My vote it vinyl. Its cheaper, long lasting, and you can let someone else deal with the headache :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There isn't any prep aside from cleaning the mating surface (if your clear coat is really flaking, maybe taking off anything that will leave surface irregularities) and then laying down the vinyl. How long it lasts depends on what vinyl brand/model you go with. Oracal, 3M, etc are good brands
I agree with these guys. I have experience painting hoods and bumpers with Pasti-Dip. I can tell you that it will NOT come out even. There will be streaks and, depending on how thick you lay it down, it may become blotchy. Also, alot of people say you can just "peel it off if you change your mind".. Easier said than done. It is a real pain to get it off. It never comes off in one big sheet like they say.

My vote it vinyl. Its cheaper, long lasting, and you can let someone else deal with the headache :thumbup:
Thanks for the feedback on Plasti Dip, and the recommendations for vinyl. After I get all my carpet and trim back in the car (halfway there), and put my flooding nightmare behind me, I'm going to call a few shops in the area. If I can get like 3+ years out of a 3M vinyl wrap, it would totally be worth $100-$150. Now, what color? hmmmm ... I have colorado red Passat, so I doubt they can closely match it ... maybe black?

·
13,905 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on Plasti Dip, and the recommendations for vinyl. After I get all my carpet and trim back in the car (halfway there), and put my flooding nightmare behind me, I'm going to call a few shops in the area. If I can get like 3+ years out of a 3M vinyl wrap, it would totally be worth $100-$150. Now, what color? hmmmm ... I have colorado red Passat, so I doubt they can closely match it ... maybe black?
Gloss black looks fantastic on pretty much any color, especially on a CR B5, it will give it a very classy look.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmm... waqs thinking of doing my roof with plasti-dip. most likely looking into the vinyl. glass black on my silver B5 should look killer. if you do this post up some photos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts