Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Has anyone installed a S4 or a A6 tower strut bar?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Ultravox 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed a S4 or a A6 tower strut bar?

#2 ·
I have. I definately felt the difference....but not as much as when I put on Chas's lower tie bar. The install is straight forward, depending on what year your car is. I have a 99, and so I had some issues with clearance between the bracket and the AC lines on the passenger side. I really had to tug on the AC lines to get some clearance to get the bracket on. You have to cut the bar a little bit and redrill some holes to make it fit our B5's, but it's fairly easy.

I think Drew parts with the CB5 discount is ~$86 shipped...I think..

The other route you can go..is get the A6 brackets, and an S4 bar instead of the A6. The S4 bar fits perfectly so you don't have to cut it, but you just have to drill some holes to fit the A6 brakets.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel32.shtml --> Install directions for a B5 A4 using the S4 bar. The B5 Passat install is exactly the same.

#4 ·
Either one will work fine. A6 bar you have to cut it a little because it's too long and then redrill a few holes. S4 bar you have to drill four holes, but don't have to cut as much.

Did you get the kit or just the bar? You'll also need these for either bar, if you got just the bar. -->

A6 brackets:
(1) 4B0 803 357A LEFT BRACKET
(1) 4B0 803 358A RIGHT BRACKET

Long screws:
(4) N 902 533 02 SCREWS (m8 x 35) or N 090 378 2 (m8 x 25)

I'm betting the $33 for the S4 bar is just the bar, no brackets.

You shouldn't have the issue with the AC lines that I had, with your B5.5.

#5 ·
JokerUNM said:
Either one will work fine. A6 bar you have to cut it a little because it's too long and then redrill a few holes. S4 bar you have to drill four holes, but don't have to cut as much.

Did you get the kit or just the bar? You'll also need these for either bar, if you got just the bar. -->

A6 brackets:
(1) 4B0 803 357A LEFT BRACKET
(1) 4B0 803 358A RIGHT BRACKET

Long screws:
(4) N 902 533 02 SCREWS (m8 x 35) or N 090 378 2 (m8 x 25)

I'm betting the $33 for the S4 bar is just the bar, no brackets.

You shouldn't have the issue with the AC lines that I had, with your B5.5.
No I got the whole A6 kit. It comes with the bar, brackets, and necessary long screws

#7 ·
I have the Chaas bar and also the A6 upper bar. It took about 10 minutes each to install them. Definately worth it...the problem is, after you get used to it you want more...

Anyone can let me know if getting the rear sway bar will make a big enough difference and what brands to get? I would search more but the search here is next to useless.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

#9 ·
I did the Drew parts A6 with the CB5 discount. It was not a 10 min job but I took the time, fitted the mounts to the strut towers, loosened the battery, fed the bar for fitting, removed cut, reinstalled marked for bolt holes, removed, drilled and final install. finished by tightening everything up in place. Replaced tha plastic cover and seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.