Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of selling my car. I was thinking of having a contest where it cost $25 and people sent me a one page essay as to why they should get my car. Hopefully I would get 400 people and I could pay off my car. My wife and I would choose the essay and announce the winner on a certain date and time on B5. Of course the contestants would have to be from the U.S. unless they wanted a car here inthe states.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I think you'll have a tough time trying to get 400 people to write an essay and pay 25 bucks just for a chance at winning a car. We just don't get the kind of traffic here. What happens if you don't get anywhere close to 400? Do people get a refund?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That could be a problem. If I got close, say 350 I would give the car away, but if not I guess I would have to give refunds. That would be a PITA! Anyone have any ideas on how to make this work? It says that we have 9000 members.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
when did clubb5 become your charity?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to see if this had been done before or if it was possible. I would say that there is a 99.999% chance that I will not attempt this.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
atomicalex said:
There is legal precedent for this exact thing and it was deemed illegal in NJ. I would avoid it.
really? Im intrigued, what was the reason for it being deemed illegal? Just wondering....

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
It is a lottery, and lotteries not run by the state are illegal. It falls into the whole illegal betting thing. The program was $100 entry and an essay for a chance at a house. It you Google it, I think something useful will come up.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
don't they have these contests in the car magazines all the time? You can buy a ticket to win a 'Vette or cash equivalent for like $50. I don't know about the legal precedents, but it's definitely happening as we speak! :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts