Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
lots of people do this. i believe that the concensus is that lowering a stock shock will shorten it's life drastically. best thing is to get both done at the same time.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
depends on the springs you get. you should get some life out of them though. if you install it yourself, then no biggie, but if you hire someone, then be ware that it could cost you $150-$250 at most places to do it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
people do both at once to save time and/or money. If you do springs and not shock you will have to do shocks in the near future, and pretty much do the install again.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips guys.
If I just do the spring I am going to do them myself with the help of auto zones lend-a-tool program thing.
If I do both, I will have someone do it.
I was just thinking I could save some $$$ to put towards some new Headlamps!:lol:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm droped 3 inches with apex springs on stock shocks. car rides, and handles exelent, but i can feel the car stating to bounce alittle more now. I put the springs in at 300 miles, and now have 29K on the car. I'll be gettin colis soon, but not till summer i think.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
What do you think? Real bad idea? The shocks are new, about 5k on them.

Thanks

I dropped mine with eibach spriongs about 2 inches around 20 thousand miles. The ride would definitely be more solid with some new shocks cuz it's a little bouncy. Sadly :cry: , I don't have the cash lying around at the moment but the second I do I'm probably gonna slam some bilsteins on there.

I suggest if you have the dough to do it all at once, even though you barely have any miles on them, it's definitely worth it. :wink:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I got some lowtec springs on mines with stock shocks and the ride is great. Even at 110 130 mph the ride is smooth with 15's on. But, if I had on my 17's it will be alittle bit rough. If you don't have the funds just stick with the stock shocks. Also, I have 51K miles on the stock shocks and they can still handle the autobahn. :lol:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I lowered mine when I had 4,000 miles on it with H&R OE sports. I now have 16,000 miles and I can tell the stock shocks are giving out. The ride is still good, but there is more 'bounce' when you hit a bump in the road. I am going to be upgrading shocks shortly.
-Lelo

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i've done it once and i will never do it again, talk about riding caracteristics of a horse drawn carrage :thumbdow:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts