Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to plastidip mine black to give a bit of contrast against the gray headliner, but.. I'm too dumb to figure out the best way to paint them. Whatever way I have them, I can't seem to get even coverage. Anyone figured out a good way to do it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've just started working with plati-dip and am still getting the feel of it but i would assume take them apart as much as possible and if you have to lay them down and do one side at a time, followed up by many many extra coats to blend any depth difference. i use a bag like a glove to hold any parts im dippin and them find a way to set them down to dry

·
Registered
285 Posts
SEM colorcoat. I've turned an entire brown interior to black using the stuff and no one would know the difference unless I told them where to look. Have used it to make black rear view mirrors in my past 2 cars and plan to use it when doing black headliner eventually.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call on the disassembling them. Didn't think of that. Plastidip actually holds up very well when 2-3+ coats are applied. And its not like they're used too frequently! The one I'm doing now is actually not turning out too bad; I just had to flip it three different ways to cover it all, and then hit the angles to blend depth differences like you said 00Passat. I'll put a pic up when its done!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Mk4 handles won't fit on Passat's but Audi S4's came out with black handles stock and they're a direct fit on B5 Passat's

2013 :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
PREP, PREP, PREP. If they have been used often make sure to clean them Simple Green works great without discoloring. Finally, wipe them down with rubbing alcohol and let air dry then dip. Def, take as much apart as possible and clean well. if you want a smooth high-gloss finish and your working with the hard plastic grips, not rubberized, wet sand them a bit. I clogged screw-holes and fastener-points with silicon, let dry before you dip and when you have dipped and satisfied pull/cut silicon and assemble. my 2 cents

·
Registered
95 Posts
KidCrazie's got the right idea. Anytime I plasti-dip anything, degrease, sand, degrease some more, lots of coats, plenty of time to dry. Just because it looks absolutely awful when it peels on your exterior, let alone how gross it'd look on a surface people may actually touch.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alrighty so I did one, came out pretty well, but I want the others perfect. How do I disassemble them further once they're out of the car? I can't figure out how to get the hinges off of the handle

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the heads up, I just already have the plastidip :p I'd still have to take apart the handles though for dye anyways huh

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
The metal spring probably won't absorb any dye coloring. The plastic gear probably will. It looks a lot like the procedure used to color Easter eggs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts