Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a $89 windshield in perfect condition at a local junkyard, and I am anticipating the need to change my rear view mirror, which is stuck to the glass.

Has anyone done this before? I just want to know wht I am in for. The rest shouldn't be too bad, but that damn mirror gives me pause for thought.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'de leave it to the pros, trust me you dont want your windshield gasket leaking on you :nervous:

I think its like only 70 bux for labor. My budy had his winshield replaced for 150 parts and labor on his 240sx, so its really not that much.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had someone else do it, then I wouldn't be doing it myself!

I can't have that. If I can change a timing belt I should be able to change a windshield. :p

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
mechanical work is one thing, body work is a whole 'nother book. :p

All I'm saying that I saw a car with an incorrectly installed windshield gasket, and tho you cant visually tell from the outside, over time the whole floorpan got rotted from the water seapage. While it will take time to start rust on new cars like ours, it will cause your car to stick really foul and your instruments/fusebox to go haywire.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not hard, really. It is just putting a piece of glass in a rubber gasket or bonding strip.

Challenge is primarily tools and avoiding hard tools contact with glass edges.. A couple of handled suction cups is ideal, but if you got a buddy who can think in sync with you (or follows directions well), its not hard.

Never done this on a Passat, but if you can handle a timing chain, you can do this. Not sure whether the shop manual has good step by step instructions, but that sure helps.

here a general idea of the procedure, albeit not a passat:
Windshield replacement

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
incase you dont have the bentley, I know its not much use without the pictures:

Windshield, removing

- Pull water deflector off retaining strip on A-pillar.

- Unscrew wiper arms (M8 nuts = 20 Nm).

- Remove plenum chamber cover.

Notes:

The plenum chamber cover must be pulled off only by hand (windshield can be damaged through the use of an aid such as a wedge).

- Remove A-pillar trim.

Repair Manual, Body-Interior , Repair Group 70

- Press interior rear-view mirror -1- downward at an angle off retaining plate (spring clip in mirror base).

- Release sun visor -1- from mount -2-.

- Pry off cover -6-.

- Remove bolt -5-.

- Release sun visor mount -4- and separate connector -3-.

- Pry off cover cap -7-.

- Remove bolts -8- and take off mount -2-.

Notes:

Center sun visor does not need to be removed.

- Slide protective cover -1- V.A.G 1474/13 between windshield and dash panel.

- Loosen sealing lip along window flange in upper area of windshield with a plastic wedge and spray in cleaning solution D 009 401 04 (as substitute for lubricant).

- Place cutting thread in window flange with help of tube (cutting wire may also be used).

- If the gap is too small guide cutting thread on outside and push under the lip with a plastic wedge.

- Place cutting thread -2- around the windshield (cutting wire may also be used).

- Pull cutting thread through the adhesive sealing material into inside of vehicle with broach (from V.A.G 1474). Cutting thread is laid double up to windshield wiper shaft.

- Loosen bolt -3- of joint rod -4- and secure cutting thread.

- Secure inner end of thread to winding device.

- Place winding device V.A.G 1654 in "Position I".

- Move winding device according to position required and cut windshield free.

- Press cutting thread against window glass with plastic wedge during cutting process, in order to have clearance at window flange and dash panel.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ah... You might want to leave this one to the pros. If you get into an accident and your insurance company finds out you installed your own windshield their going to freak!! You have make sure the adhesive sets properly and that you removed the proper amount left over from the last windshield. Royal PITA....

This is the one nice thing about living in MA. Windshield claims and installation are free!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NYA VW said:
This is the one nice thing about living in MA. Windshield claims and installation are free!!
LOL, that would drive insurance companies here broke. I need a new one almost every year. I've made this one last 3 years, but I feel like Luke Skywalker with the blast shield down when I drive into the sun, since my windshield is so chipped, it might as well be opaque.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
coloradob5 said:
If I had someone else do it, then I wouldn't be doing it myself!

I can't have that. If I can change a timing belt I should be able to change a windshield. :p
Winston, Winston, Winston...just let it go. If it makes you feel any better, I had a pro replace my windshield...and I think you know where I stand on the whole DIY timing belt issue! Of course, I stayed there the whole time and watched him do it! :eek:h:

BTW, just why are you wanting to change the windshield? If it's cracked, your insurance (in many states) will pick up the tab, without a deductible...okay, that's another reason why I didn't do it myself. Regarding the mirror, the replacement windshield he used for my car already had a mirror mount on it; just a matter of twisting it off the old windshield and onto the new one. EDIT: I just read your update about insurance out there...sorry to hear about it!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, when I was in Georgia it was free, but I'd have to hit my $500 deductable our here... :cry:

And the junkyard out here has one for sale for $89...hard to resist... Thanks for the sympathy though Matt!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I remember watching the dude replace my windshield. He even walked me thought the whole process. It didn't seem too hard, but keep in mind he had all the right tools. The rear view mirror is the easy part. The one in the junk yard should already have a little nub for you to twist the rear view onto. I don't know if you are trying to save money or you are just a diehard DIYer, but I got mine installed for like $125 I think. After $89 plus the cost of the tools to do it right, it seems like a little much for a junkyard windshield. But if you do decide to go for it. Good Luck.

Thad. :shock:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Darth Volkswagen said:
...It didn't seem too hard, but keep in mind he had all the right tools...
Yeah, that cordless power caulking gun IS a beautiful thing to see in action...but I sure don't want to buy one! Winston, maybe you can arrange a GB on windshields and host a "windshield replacement GTG"! :lol: :poke:

·
Registered
445 Posts
but keep in mind he had all the right tools.
that cordless power caulking gun IS a beautiful thing to see in action
That gun is usually a heated Sikaflex (don't know the number) sealant. That is the key to the whole thing. Good prep, good sealant.

I can do everything with a car, and have done a few windsheilds in my days. However on a Passat, I'd leave it to the Pro's.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DaddyMatt said:
Winston, maybe you can arrange a GB on windshields and host a "windshield replacement GTG"! :lol: :poke:
Hehe, wait...hmmmmm... :roll:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
coloradob5 said:
DaddyMatt said:
Winston, maybe you can arrange a GB on windshields and host a "windshield replacement GTG"! :lol: :poke:
Hehe, wait...hmmmmm... :roll:
Uh oh...what have I done?? :nervous:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Can anyone here say "zero deductible comprehensive?"

Having a $500 deductible on comprehensive is highly unusual - it makes sense on collision but not comp. I had $250 deductible comp, and this summer changed it to zero deductible for only $5 more per month. It's already paid for itself for four years - a semi-tire blew in front of me and wiped out my front end. It's getting repaired right now for nothing. Zip. Nada. Nyet. Neechevo.

Win, even if it costs you $10/mo to go from 500 to zero, that easily pays for a new windshield every year... check w/your agent.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, I could do that, and they will fix it when it cracks and can't be repaired, but for my pit-o-rama windshield they say "tough noogies"

Unfortunately, I just can't see out of it any longer...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
coloradob5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing