Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Amsoil salesrep came to my dads house to do pres on benfits of Amsoil syn motor oil and lub prods. They claim 12,000 mile oil change interval for their prods. etc...... is this for real or just snake oil or should I say snake syn oil :weirdo:

ben

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
This gets tossed around a lot. There was just a thread on here that showed if you top the oil off and just changed the filter every 5000 it actually is better for you car. Then do a full change every 18000 miles.

My feeling is every 5000 with dino, some will say every 7500 with synth., but I would do 5k as well. The possibility that you can go longer with synth. oil is not the main benefit. Things like higher breakdown temperatures are.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i know the porche uses syn oil and has such a huge oil pan that the recommended oil change interval is 15k, the vw website says that the syn oil in the W8 should be changed every 10k :???: . i still change it every 5k

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I will change every 3-5 k, oil is one of the cheapest maintainance items in existance, yet one of the most important. Nothing but the best for my passat! :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
just put amsoil 5-40 in my car last week

The rep also told me I could go for 1 year or 12K miles. I work with the rep's son, and they both have been on an extended oil change interval on their domestic trucks for years. Personally, I'm going to stick to the 5K change interval since I don't want to argue with the stealership if I ever need warranty work. Once the warranty's up...who knows. I'll probably stick to the 5K interval. I'm planning on pulling my dip stick and checking to see how gritty the oil feels at 5K. It's not scientific, just curious if I'll see a difference.

I do know that a mechanic friend of mine says that 20 years ago they regularly went 5K-7.5K on regular Dino oil. Makes me wonder if the 3K oil change interval isn't made up to sell more oil. :)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
AMSOIL was my race sponsor for quite a few years and there's no way I would run any oil including a synthetic for over 5000 miles.

Their synthetic oils and lubricants are excellent products but don't fall for those extended change interval foolishness.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I haven't tried AMSOIL yet but if its anything like Redline I would be very careful. Redline claimed 10-12K oil change interval so I put them to the test. I drove my car for 5K miles then I cracked the drain plug and took a sample. I also changed my oil filter and topped of with some more Redline 5w30. I sent the sample to Blackstone labs and they basically said the oil would not last another 5K and I should replace the oil immediately.

To be fair I sent the report to Redline and they basically said the oil characteristics and behavior will be different for each vehicle. My car is a 2002 1.8T and is only two years old. The car has a GIAC chip and has a TT exhaust w/DP (which was not installed during the test). I'm going to be honest I did drive the car a little harder than normal during the test. I had it up to 130 twice (One of those times I was going up against an A4 3.0 Wagon.. Damn that car is fast). Btw.. I drive a tad aggressively at times (usually when I see a HONDA!!). :lol:

I will try to post the results if anyone is interested. I also have the emails
from both sides.

Good Luck

Ps.. I changed back to M1 after I put approx. 7K on the Redline. I took another sample of the Redline. I just haven't gotten around to sending the sample to Blackstone.

Btw.. I'm back to changing my oil every 5K miles.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If I had a larger oil pan, then maybe every 7-12k miles, but not my car. It gets an OEM filter and mobil1 every 3-4k miles. I don't like to see black oil coming out of my car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
amsoil

I'm running amsoil in my 2003 1.8. On a recent road trip I got 32mpg so I am pleased with the results. I plan to change every 5000 miles to avoid any warranty problems down the road.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
NYA VW, I would like to see your results. I plan to have my Amsoil tested this summer.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I use AMPOIL from down under... and still change it every 5k... at the dealership.

and than after every track weekend... not reason not to keep the car going for so long without an oil change.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Personally, I'm going to stick to the 5K change interval since I don't want to argue with the stealership if I ever need warranty work.
Exactly my plan. Actually, I actually change every 6 months and that puts me at about 4,200 to 4,500 miles. I'll probably stick with this even after the warrant expires.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Look at other countries. The service interval for the Passat in the UK is 20,000 miles. The service interval for the BMW 3 series here is 9,000 miles. Y'all just being ripped off. Some web site they were running synthetic oil to see how long it would really last, last I heard they were well into the tens of thousands and the only issue was an occasional unexpected rise in viscosity.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
geordie said:
Look at other countries. The service interval for the Passat in the UK is 20,000 miles. The service interval for the BMW 3 series here is 9,000 miles. Y'all just being ripped off. Some web site they were running synthetic oil to see how long it would really last, last I heard they were well into the tens of thousands and the only issue was an occasional unexpected rise in viscosity.
Yeah, sure, it's a rip-off alright, right up until the point your engine sludges up. :roll:

Do what you want, but you better have a handful of oil change receipts showing compliance if you get into a warranty tussle with the manufacturer. What are you going to argue, "well, in England they can change oil every 20,000 miles?" The last thing you'll hear, before the dial tone, will be the side-splitting laughter of some customer service rep up there at the VWoA headquarters in Auburn Hills, MI.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
That Redline tends to cause some wierd analysis results. A friend sent in Redline, GC, and Schaeffer Blend 15W40 samples from the same car, 5k miles each, and the Redline was by far the worst. The GC was good and the Schaeffer was stellar. I don't know much about Amsoil, but I presume it's decent oil. I agree with Geordie, other countries and even fleets in the US use extended intervals with no problems if the oil and filter are up to it. I run the Schaeffer Blend (it's a blend of GIII and GIV oil bases, not GII and GIII as are most blends) and have been doing 10k intervals for 30K now. 95k miles on the car so far and going strong. Fair to note that this is the V6 with a 6.5qt oil capacity and no turbo. I think that with today's better oils (and this excludes a lot of oils that many of you are using), extended intervals are no problem. I plan to keep this B5 for a long time, so I'll get back to you all at 150k and 200k with updates.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts