Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Harman Kardon Drive+Play install (iPod interface)

The wife gave me a 30GB iPod Video for Xmas, so of course I had to integrate it to my car. My beloved old JVC deck as rear and front aux inputs, but I didn't want to have to put the 'Pod away every time I left the car. I found the HK Drive+Play controller and display at Best Buy for $100 and used a $30 gift card to get it for a good deal. Then picked up a Metra dash pocket, cut it to fit the display, cut out a strip of plastic from the bottom of the Metra part and hand sanded them to make the side fillter parts, then sprayed it with Testor's flat black to match the console. So now the 'Pod stays safely lock in the glove box and the rear input in the HU gives me decent sound (at least decent for an iPod).

No pics of the controller yet, but after trying out a bunch of iPod-ready HUs at the local shop and being disappointed by the interface, I am really happy with the HK unit. It has a jog-wheel, four outer buttons, and a center button to mimic the iPod interface nicely.

Thanks for letting me show it off here...

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I'm impressed. a very clean install. you should have taken pix as you fashioned this up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The frame is not clipped in place yet, just held in by whatever friction there is and it is staying put pretty well. I did use a few dabs of Shoe Goo to affix the display to the pocket, though. All I did was use the trusty Dremel with a cut-off wheel and a grinding drum to shape it. It's not very pretty when it's not in place, but I'll try to put up a couple of pics with it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts