Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked around the various threads, but have still decided to submit this for some specific information on hard wiring my new Garmin i3 Nav in a 2000 Passat.

Ideally, I would mount it just to the left of the rear view mirror or alternatively, at the upper left corner of the windshield. The GPS works fine as far as getting satellite signals in either location and I would use the included suction mount.

The question is about getting 5volts of switched power to the I3 while concealing the power cable. I am wondering if there is a 5v tap anywhere in the car. Of course, I can use the cigarette lighter adapter to step down 12v to 5v and then run the power cable under the steering wheel and up the driver's side column.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas? Is there anyway that I can get 12 volts (or 5v volts) from the interior lights that are mounted next to the sun roof motor access panel?

Any help would be appreciated and yes I am a newbie.

Thanks.
SB

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is an outstanding tip-Thanks!

I would love to see some pics and your findings when you get the stuff in.

Getting power into the usb cable will be easy. You'll find that USB is well documented for which of the cables supplies power.

So where do you plan to get the power from and where do you plan to mount it?

· Registered
471 Posts
Pins one and four are the +5V and ground - no problem there.

I'm going to grab 12V from one of the hot studs under the driver's dash panel. I'll know which it is when I see it again, but don't recall the number offhand.

I'm actually going to install a connector block in that area with fuses and connections for all of the other electronic goodies in the car. I raelly don't like those clip on things.

I'll post some pictures when I get all of the parts in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.