Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Model: 2001 1.8T

My problem is a starting problem if the car is left for a period of time, anywhere from 15 minutes onwards. Won't start on the first crank but starts immediately if I switch off and crank again.

When the fuel tank is full the first crank works sometimes but as the fuel level drops the first attempt never works. Also as the level drops the 2nd crank gets a bit harder, but starts nonetheless.

This problem began when the car developed a fuel leak from near the tank and my mechanic fixed the leak (unfortunately not sure exactly what was done).

Appreciate any suggestions on what to check.

Roshan

·
Super Moderator
14,054 Posts
Just curious, have you ever tried taking the gas cap off and then putting it back prior to starting? I doubt it would change anything but it's not in the realm of the impossible.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Try switching the ignition on for 2 seconds, 2 or 3 times before starting.
If that helps, you can be pretty sure that there is a faulty non return valve, or a leak in the fuel pick up hose on the FP.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Tomvw, where is that non-return valve exactly? At the bottom of the fuel pickup hose?
(We'd probably call it a check valve in the US.)

·
Registered
27,757 Posts
I thought that was part of the fuel pump assembly. I've seen the issue often with aftermarket replacement pumps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try switching the ignition on for 2 seconds, 2 or 3 times before starting.
If that helps, you can be pretty sure that there is a faulty non return valve, or a leak in the fuel pick up hose on the FP.
Thought of this too and sometimes have left the ignition on for over a minute just to see if it will prime, no luck though, still has the same issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are both correct.
If this is the cause then am I looking at a fuel pump replacement. I ask because once the car starts there are no signs of faulty fuel pump, runs perfectly. Only fault is the starting issue.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Won't start on the first crank but starts immediately if I switch off and crank again. When the fuel tank is full the first crank works sometimes but as the fuel level drops the first attempt never works.
Please define "crank" as you mean it: Is the key turned to "Start" for one second, 5 seconds, 30 seconds? Does it start better right after filling up? If you had both an intake system air leak, and a stuck open purge valve, the unintentional richer mixture might help it start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please define "crank" as you mean it: Is the key turned to "Start" for one second, 5 seconds, 30 seconds? Does it start better right after filling up? If you had both an intake system air leak, and a stuck open purge valve, the unintentional richer mixture might help it start.
Hi, By cranking I mean where the starter motor is engaged to turn over the engine (Start position). The amount of time the starter is engaged doesn't really make a difference. I tried leaving the key in the "On" position for about 30 - 45 seconds before starting, that doesn't work either. Turn the ignition off (from key) and try again and engine starts up immediately.

The first time simply will not start the engine except when the fuel tank is full, even then it is really difficult.

Thereafter first time start is fine until I leave the engine off for 10 minutes or more, then the problem re-occurs.

As mentioned it is less when the fuel tank is full, and progressively gets worse as the fuel level reduces.

Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts