Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you doing passat world. It's me reedster again and I'm having a few problems with my 2002 passat 1.8t. First problem is when the car is cold or has been sitting for about 4 hours and I try to go start it will keep cranking after about the 10 revolution of cranking it start but it sputter a little bit then run fine or if I go to start it i will give a small crank then turn key off and try starting again and it will fire right up. The car does not have any lack of power or no cel so I'm kinda stump on what it could be. I don't want to have to put money into parts that I don't need. I rebuilt the motor about a year ago so it has a new timing and components so I don't think it's that. I put new plugs in it still no luck. I thought it could be a fuel issue but I took a second thought that if it was fuel then the car would have a lack power but it does not. Once it's starts it purs like a cat. I wanna say possibly cam sensor but I would thought it would through a cel. Second problem is the transmission is having a delay in going into gears I have planned to rebuild the valve body and put new fluid into it but before I do I wanna see what other people outcomes were after rebuilding the valve body and see if that had fix their problems in delay of into going into gear/ hard shifting mostly 3rd. If you need anymore info feel free to ask I will answer best as I could. Thank you guys for taking your time out your day to help me figure this problem out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw I do have full access to my own vag com so if you need reading let me know I will give them to you. I am still new to vag so of don't mind telling me what measuring i need to go in that will be great

·
Registered
27,421 Posts
You can have a code stored without a CEL. My son's car had issues with starting over the last 2 months and the 3 year old battery died. With a new battery and the plugs cleaned, the car ran fine, but still stumbled on it's 1st start. A new CTS fixed the problem, there was a code stored for an intermittent CTS and O2 sensor, so a new O2 sensor was also added.

Run a full scan on the car and see what comes up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did a scan on and these are the codes I have p0420 (catalyst system bank 1) p1114 (oxygen sensor B1 S2) is p0140 (oxygen sensor B1 S2). I do remember always having these codes because i had to bust the internals of the catalytic convertor out. But I have replaced all the o2 sensors, maf and air filter, within the last few months.

·
Registered
9,564 Posts
A 1.8T does not have Bank 2.
After destroying the catalytic convertor, of course you have catalyst system and O2 sensor faults.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually meant bank 1 typo. Yeah I figure them codes was related to that. I have a spare catalytic converter it's just the matter of time and motivation into putting it in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have looked further into this problem and I'm suspecting it's the fuel pump. I noticed when I first turned on the ignition the fuel pump did not go off (No crank). I turned the ignition off and then back on then I heard the pump go off for a split second (again no crank) then the third time I did the fuel pump did a full prime (still with crank) then I turned it off and back and cranked it and fired right up. So I am suspecting a fuel pump. I parts car so I'm gonna pull the pump off that car and see where it leads. If it fixes the problem I will let you all know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found out the reason for the hard starts it turned out to be the fuel pump. I tested the fuel pressure and I was only getting 3psi. I was surprised that the car even ran. I had robbed the old fuel pump from my parts car and now I'm getting 50psi which I wanna say is normal for these 1.8t.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts