Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some remember that I forgot to lock my storage unit for my car when I left boston for CA last month :crazy: . Anyhoo my g/f goes bak there last week and she went to lock/check everything in it.

My question is: I when she started it up it idled really hard for a while... that's normal correct? :???: all the oil and fluids aregetting thru the lines again.

She said that after she drove it around the lot 2-3 times it was running OK.

Does this sound right with the hard start/idle? I know it would be hard for my to wake up after sitting there for a month!

·
Registered
68 Posts
this is "normal" for a VW apparently. mine did the same exact thing, whether it sat for a week, or sat for 3 months while I was in Europe. I was blowing gas out my exhaust as it misfired. it's really ghetto and pretty embarrassing on such a nice car.... sorry, but I was never able to get the issue resolved. one of the many design flaws.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks boys! Quick question:
Is there a recomended time to let the car run (idle) after storage before you start to drive it again? To get all the moisture and crap out of the lines?
Ryan

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
whats up ryan, one thing i do before starting it after sitting and especially after a new oil change is i disconnect the igniter and crank it a few times. this gets oil pumping through the system and into the turbo.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Yeah, this is 'normal' for this car, sometimes after sitting for only a handful of days. Did you get a CEL? Can anyone guess what part of the system gets crotchety after not being used for such a short time? Fuel injectors not limber or something?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1.8tbeout said:
whats up ryan, one thing i do before starting it after sitting and especially after a new oil change is i disconnect the igniter and crank it a few times. this gets oil pumping through the system and into the turbo.
Whats up, good idea I'll do that, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.