Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have to check out a Harbor Freight Tool store if you have one in your city. I went this past Saturday and bought the caliper piston tool for $39. After walking throught the store I bought an additonal $30 of stuff. The tools are not Craftsman quality, but they are very reasonably priced, especially if you are only going to use them a few times. There are a ton of .99 cent deals that are great to have in the old tool box.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I only wish I had one near me. I'd be there every day....twice. :)

My next item from them: aluminum racing jack. $99 (plus shipping for me :( ).

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
My harbor freight aluminum jack is still workin' great... and I do have one of their retail stores near me :) (kid in a candy shop, I can't go too often..) They have an image of poor quality but I haven't had problems with any of the tools I've bought from them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
i too have an outlet near me.....they sell some pretty shitty stuff....you just have to know what to look for

i bought an air-powered vacuum pump, and a set of manifold gauges to properly charge up my AC system after the compressor blew up...

$15 for the pump, and $60 for the manifold gauges....

the gauges are of better quality than the snapon truck carries....

they DO sell a cheaper set of gauges, but i took 1 look @ them and scoffed....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yeah, some of their tools have surprised me. I had a Porter Cable 4.5" grinder that lasted about 6 months. Warrantied it and got a new one. It lasted about a year. I picked up two HF 4.5" grinders for 17.00 each and I am still using the one I started with about two years now with the spare on hand when it gives up.
I have bought a few tools that I don't use often like a GM style steering lock remover, steering wheel puller and some impact sockets and they have been just fine. Picked up a set of 3 ton jack stands for 11.00!!
Their aluminum "racing" jack is a steal. Only problem I've had was with a set of their box end wrenches that rounded out on some high torque grade 8 bolts I was trying to loosen during a trail fix on my Jeep.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
we have something similar around here, its callled "princess auto" and they sell alot of weird and wonderfull tools and misc, stuff like overstock and army surplus and whatever else.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
2.0GTI said:
we have something similar around here, its callled "princess auto" and they sell alot of weird and wonderfull tools and misc, stuff like overstock and army surplus and whatever else.
I picked up a really nice pink tutu and mechanic's thong (steel pouch) at Princess Auto one time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts