Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2004 GLX Wagon with 56k at auction - was dealer serviced annually till a couple years ago, but sat outside in Vermont for a couple years.

Parking/emergency cable housing fused to spring lever through corrosion. Whaddya think - cut through lever to free housing/cable component? I don't see Napa being able to salvage that portion of old caliper anyway.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,004 Posts
Put some pb blaster or Kroil and try to loosen it up. I've had good luck with that over hacking it apart.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,004 Posts
So, it wasn't clear what you were trying to do. Remove the caliper to replace it, or just free up the mechanism? My method was just to free it up so the e-brake moves freely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for cloudy post. New caliper is in place. The hb cable is still on old caliper resting beside. How to get cable off metal plate with spring? Cut plate or or try to pry out. It seems the cable housing tube has more or less fused with metal spring plate due to corrosion - can't even see what it looked like and I haven't seen rear vw brakes for a few.years. I'll try to pry first. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
There is a small catch spring/washer - find my post for doing rear brakes….

wait, this was a while ago.. hope it worked out…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts