Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an alternate for the one and only VW dealer in my immediate area. The only other dealer is "across the water" (in my area 30-45 min). My girlfriend is coming up on 60K maintainance and a basic oil change is $55. DANG. Looks like the dealer has a monopoly; doing research, I find that no service place will change the oil in the passat.

I like to get maintenance done on schedule on my car. Is this (expensive work) what I have to look forward to? $55 for an oil change.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Go to Ray's on Warwick (south of Main Street) in Newport News. I highly recommend him and I got a reccomendation from Bap Geon. He is honest and inexpensive - he was also the lead mechanic at Casey VW for many years so he knows what hes doing. He specializes in VWs and I only take my B5 to him. Here's the contact info:

Ray's Import Auto Repair
9805 Warwick Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23601
757-595-7297

Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a filter from a German auto parts store for $10, thinking I could get the dealer to cut a deal on the work. No deal.
I was shocked to see that the filter looked no different than any other filter. I wonder why it is that no other service place has stock of the filter and will not change the oil in a Passat?!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, pospassat, our screen name are similar. Anyway, have you had you 60K service done? If so, where? And what the dealer do to make you angry?
They have a habit of calling you to tell you something else is wrong with the car, something that wasn't wrong when you dropped it off. Of course they wanted more $$$$.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No, its nothing like that. They just have a habit of looking like baboons. Not being able to properly diagnose / misdiagnosing simple problems (the control arms squeaking), quoting prices way over other dealers for the same service, horrible customer service...the list goes on and on. I live two minutes away but refuse to take my car there. Even the parts department sucks...I had to drive an hour to buy a $80 part that Casey wanted $120 for. I have had an all around bad experience with them from sales to parts and service. Go there if you dare...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Casey is a horrible dealership. They overcharge and never fix anything right. I'm happy I moved!

·
Registered
2 Posts
amazed...first post i see here is about my "favorite" VW dealer in Newport News ;)

quit going there a few years ago after a few service screw-ups with my NB.

i've been making the drive to Checkered Flag for service on both my Passat and NB. They've been pretty darned good...waay better than Casey on price and they've done it right the first time. :thumbup:

i'll have to check out Ray's.

Just heard AutoHaus in Yorktown is now servicing VWs. Friends who've taken Volvos/SAABs there had good things to say, so they might be worth checking out.

Warren

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, I called Autohaus a few years back to ask if they worked on VW and they replied in a very snobbish tone "We only work on BMW's and Mercedes". I thought it was kinda funny, like VW's were just not up to their standards. I guess we have come up in the world or they just don't have enough work...

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have had nothing but bad experiences taking my baby to Casey. They suck a fat one!!! My wife is an insurance adjuster, and has dealt with Casey automotive on many occassions. She says that they are under staffed, and they over book. She also says that the frequently blaim the the insurance company (or the agent handling the claim) for delays on repairs when the reality is that the car is waiting for them to start the repairs. By my on investigations (calling around and the web), they tend to overchange on labor and parts from about 20% to 50%. Ridiculous!!!! I was panicing because I'm coming up on my 40K service. I'll have to check out Ray's and Checkered Flag.

VW owners of Hampton Roads unite, boycott Casey.... or at least refer people elsewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
pospassat-

Does Ray's do alignment and aftermarket suspension? I am trying to find a good place to get springs and shocks done.

BTW- I got my car from Greenbrier- they're a trek, but free oil changes for life. That is a godsend when you own a W8.

Good to hear from other B5's in area.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm coming up on my 40K service for my 2002 1.8t GLS. Checkered Flag said they would do it for $400. I also called Casey and Greenbrier, and they're both over $600. I leaning towards Checkered. Any one have any suggestions. Does Mark's perform 40k service as a package? :whistle:

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
VV8_er said:
pospassat-

Does Ray's do alignment and aftermarket suspension? I am trying to find a good place to get springs and shocks done.

BTW- I got my car from Greenbrier- they're a trek, but free oil changes for life. That is a godsend when you own a W8.

Good to hear from other B5's in area.
Go to J & M Tires in Norfolk they do suspension on :b5: I got my :b5: dropped there. HTH

J & M Tires
872 E. Little Creek Rd.
Norfolk, VA 23518 (757) 480-0994

1 - 17 of 17 Posts