Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/art...UDIENCE.XML&WTmodLoc=SportsLanding-C9-Motor-2
LONDON, Nov 24 (Reuters) - Lewis Hamilton hopes to open up Formula One to a new audience, much as Tiger Woods did in golf, after being confirmed as a McLaren driver on Friday.

The 21-year-old, whose paternal grandparents emigrated to Britain from the island of Grenada in the 1950s, will become the first black grand prix driver when the 2007 season starts in Australia in March.

Narain Karthikeyan was the first Indian to race in Formula One in 2005 and there have been Asian drivers in what has otherwise been a predominantly white man's sport since the championship started in 1950...

Comparisons with Woods have been made since Hamilton first began to make waves in the junior categories of motorsport.

He has won every series he has competed in and ends this year as GP2 champion, one rung below Formula One, at the first attempt.

McLaren boss Ron Dennis first became aware of him when, as a 12-year-old in a rented black tie outfit, Hamilton walked up to him at an awards ceremony and looked him straight in the eye while offering an outstretched hand...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
sure its wonderful that F1 now has the chance to break down that last barrier, but this will never overshadow the talent that this guy has. Who cares where he came from, he's going to rip sh** up. Drivers like Nico Rosberg, Hiki Koveliennen (sp?), Nelson Piquet Jr, and Lewis Hamilton are going to dominate the future of formula 1. That's going to attract new viewers all by itself.

But i do get where this article is coming from.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am sure he will attract a larger audience and not do downplay his achievement but I suspect a lot of people will tune in to see if it is more competitive now that MS is no longer racing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts