Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
99s were not affected. do a search, you'll find page upon page about coil pack failures.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Emission warranty

Altair 4 said:
can someone familiar with the emissions warranty please clarify the parameters (time, mileage) for cat converter coverage for 49 states and California? Did it change between the "old" warranty and the "new" warranty? Doubtless someone will find this useful. TIA.
"Major emission control components," which include the cat, ECU, and OBD, are covered for 8 years or 80k miles by federal law. This applies to MY95 and newer cars and is not affected by changes to VW's or other mfr's warranties. Cali vehicles may have additional coverage. See http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt. Good luck.

Patrick

·
Registered
222 Posts
One question... how much for a cat there in the US ?

I already replaced one coilpack, so three more to replace. I had bought two more coils from Drew Parts. I'll buy one more and replace the three left.

·
Registered
243 Posts
saheed said:
how much for a cat there in the US ?
I think its ~ $1200

·
Registered
222 Posts
bretb said:
I think its ~ $1200
Ouch, no doubt I'm replacing all coils before anything bad happens.

$25 shipped at DrewParts.

Another question. How many miles did you run the car before replacing the coils ? Just wondering how much the cat can resist the failure of a coil. Should I tow the car once I know a coil failed ?

At most, I ran 5 miles with three cylinders working.

·
Registered
243 Posts
At 6k, I had a flashing CEL. Pulled over right away, had it towed, and had all four coilpacks replaced. At 10k, I had a solid CEL. Drove to the dealer, vag-com said cat error. Drove it for a week until my previously-scheduled 10k appt. They couldn't find anything wrong with the cat, but the #4 coil was periodically misfiring, so they replaced it. Drove it for a month, to 11k, when the solid CEL came on again. Vag-com again said cat error. Drove it for a week, then had the cat replaced.

·
Registered
222 Posts
bretb said:
At 6k, I had a flashing CEL. Pulled over right away, had it towed, and had all four coilpacks replaced. At 10k, I had a solid CEL. Drove to the dealer, vag-com said cat error. Drove it for a week until my previously-scheduled 10k appt. They couldn't find anything wrong with the cat, but the #4 coil was periodically misfiring, so they replaced it. Drove it for a month, to 11k, when the solid CEL came on again. Vag-com again said cat error. Drove it for a week, then had the cat replaced.
Having all the coils replaced doesn't seem to assure you that the cat is going to be Ok. We know by references that the "J" coils may be misfiring or failing too.
I know you guys might replace your cats naming your "emissions warranty" but does VW have anything similar that I could refer to ? If a cat costs around $1200 in the US, I don't want to imagine the price here. For example a coil here costs around $66.
Paranoid? maybe, I just want to be informed, just in case...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I recently had a cat replaced in a 2000 GLX and was initially quoted $1600 for the job. I gently had to remind the dealer that this was covered under warranty.

Gotta love VW dealers.. :crazy:

·
Registered
243 Posts
It feels like my car has more power now that the cat has been replaced. Am I imagining it, or as the cat was failing, was I gradually losing power, so I didn't notice the power loss?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone say if a defective cat can burn or blow coil packs? Kept changing and kept misfiring when engine heats eventually blowing a pack or even two.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Extreme necro - about 18 years since last used.

Can anyone say if a defective cat can burn or blow coil packs? Kept changing and kept misfiring when engine heats eventually blowing a pack or even two.
A defective cat can't damage coils, but defective coils can damage cats.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts