Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had coilpacks replaced...now Catalytic Converter is gone too!!

I was one of the victims of this awful coilpack horror and my CEL came on the second day after the two coils were replaced. CEL went off and came back three days later...it's been on and off for the past three weeks now...never flashed though.

Today I took into the dealer to find out why it's on...the Catalytic converter is gone that's why. Thank goodness it's covered by the emissions warranty. Service manager told me that the coilpacks caused the converter to go out...so watch out for that as well after you have your coipacks replaced!!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Re: Had coilpacks replaced...now Catalytic Converter is gone too!! (VW4ever)

Hmm...does a coil pack's behavior degrade and cause harm to the cat before the coil pack actually fails in an obvious way? In other words, were the packs misbehaving and harming your cat before you knew the packs needed to be replaced? Or did they only harm the cat once they were obviously malfunctioning?

Does anyone know if there is any reason to replace (non-defective) coil packs for the same age/detioration -related reasons you'd replace old-fashioned high-tension spark plug wires?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Re: Had coilpacks replaced...now Catalytic ... (RechtsFahren)

I suppose if raw fuel is being dumped into the catalytic converter it would cause damage. If your coil packs aren't firing my understanding is that raw fuel is being dumped into the exhaust.

BTW IIRC the WRC cars do this on purpose when you let off the gas to keep the turbo spooled up. The raw fuel hits the hot turbine wheel and explodes causing the wheel to spin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

They didn't say how this may have happened but I think your explanations are both probable if not possibly true. I know that the rough idle happened a couple of weeks before the coils went out. During that time the CEL never flashed even once. So it's possible that the damage was done during that time.

After they looked at it now my dash lights for the HVAC controls don't work
I mean when is this going to stop? Can I drive my $25k + car liike a car that's worth that amount....JEEEES!!!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Re: Had coilpacks replaced...now Catalytic ... (VW4ever)

your not supposed to drive with a flashing MIL. You were driving on 3 cylinders for a long time thus the cat damage.

Better hope the dealed doesnt blame your for it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Had coilpacks replaced...now Catalytic ... (b5-turbonium)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>your not supposed to drive with a flashing MIL. You were driving on 3 cylinders for a long time thus the cat damage.

Better hope the dealed doesnt blame your for it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mentioned that the CEL NEVER flashed when the rough idle began. I couldn't drive the car when it started flashing...even if I wanted to. When I explained to the service guys about the rough idle they were not too concerned with it because the CEL wasn't even coming on. They said it was "just a misfire"...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: Had coilpacks replaced...now Catalytic ... (b5-turbonium)

Ahh but the owners manual tells you to. And to get it to a dealer ASAP!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Had my coilpacks replaced replaced back in April (story here). Solid CEL came on last night. Stopped in the dealer this morning, vag-com said it was a catalytic converter error. I have an appointment for my 10k oil change and wheel liner recall next Monday. They said it was ok to wait to look at the cc until that appointment.

Any additional thoughts on the coilpacks-catalytic-converter-connection?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Re: Had coilpacks replaced...now Catalytic ... (b5-turboniu

5068 said:
When I explained to the service guys about the rough idle they were not too concerned with it because the CEL wasn't even coming on. They said it was "just a misfire"...
Same happened to me. Slightly rough idle on cold starts, solid CEL, called in and service guy said that it was probably just a misfire due to gas additives in the area. It went off by itself, never returned. I switched gas brands (instead of using lower than 93 like he'd suggested), and the rough idle went away. Coilpacks replaced at my 20K service a month or so ago. Now I've got a slightly rough idle (~5secs on cold start), and just this morning my CEL came back on. Should be on tomorrow for my 25K, at least. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Follow-up to my post two above ...

Took my car in last night and they checked out the catalytic converter error code (solid CEL). They couldn't find anything wrong with the cat, but one of my J (!) coilpacks was periodically misfiring. They replaced the faulty coilpack and cleared the CEL.

·
Registered
243 Posts
So my CEL came on again and showed another catalytic converter error. Dealer replaced the cat today and said the failure probably was due to the failed coilpacks allowing raw fuel to enter the cat. If that's really the case, I hate to think about everyone else whose coilpacks also failed.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
CRD99 hit the nail on the head. If the cylinder misfires and dumps raw fuel into the exhaust then the potential for an over-rich mixture of the exhaust into the cat could cause failure. I think you would have a good case if you wanted to present it to VW.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I've been waiting for this mulch to hit the ventilator. I'm guessing that VWoA is going to start to see a rash of these claims. The cost is going to make the coilpack issue cost look pale by comparison.

I can see it now...

Me: "My CEL light is on all the time."
Dealer: "Yes, we know your CEL light is on continuously. We can't stock enough cat convertors due to a national shortage. The plant in Germany is running extra shifts and holidays to meet the demand. BTW, we finally do have enough coilpacks in the pipeline, if you need another one of those changed."

Anyone betting that VWoA says nary a word about this? Or a vaguely worded letter, at best?

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts

CRD99 said:
BTW IIRC the WRC cars do this on purpose when you let off the gas to keep the turbo spooled up. The raw fuel hits the hot turbine wheel and explodes causing the wheel to spin.
Back in the day, Formula 1 turbos used to do this, too. I imagine just about any serious racing turbo engines would be set up to do this. Ain't it cool? :D

Yeah, the bad coilpacks will certainly cause the Cat to go out if enough raw fuel is dumped in there. Bummer.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
What's really interesting about this is the cat is covered by the emissions warranty which I believe is better for us. Except for the potential claims by dealers or VWoA that a chip may have affected the fuel management and caused the rich condition, a cat repair should be pretty simple. Or at least as simple as any repair by a VW dealer.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
What's really interesting about this is the cat is covered by the emissions warranty which I believe is better for us.
No dougt you're right. I don't have my owner's manual handy; can someone familiar with the emissions warranty please clarify the parameters (time, mileage) for cat converter coverage for 49 states and California? Did it change between the "old" warranty and the "new" warranty? Doubtless someone will find this useful. TIA.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm getting worried with this thing of the cat.
I'm still fighting with my dealer to replace the coilpacks, they are still "asking" VW what action to take when some coil pack fails... now imaging telling them that the cat got bad because of the coils.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just for clarification, my cat was replaced under warranty ('03, only 11k miles).

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
saheed said:
I'm getting worried with this thing of the cat.
I'm still fighting with my dealer to replace the coilpacks, they are still "asking" VW what action to take when some coil pack fails... now imaging telling them that the cat got bad because of the coils.
If this is a big issue and VW there isn't acting on the USA recall, maybe you should consider just replacing them yourself. I don't know if you can order parts from the USA, but I think these parts are about $25 USD. Might be worth considering, if you're going to blow a cat converter. As you said, it doesn't sound like you'll have an easy argument. I know it's not right, but it may be the pragmatic answer. Best of luck with your issue.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
which cars are effected by the coil pack issue-what is the issue i should ask first of all. should i call my dealer and see if i've been notified?

i have 99 1.8t

1 - 20 of 31 Posts