Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had H&R sport springs installed on my '03 1.8T wagon, and the drop seems quite significant - H&R lists the drop as 1.3/1.0 front and rear, but the actual drop is about 2 inches. After the install I went back and asked the shop that ordered the springs and did the install if the drop seemed excessive - since I was now scraping the front end coming out of parking lots if I wasn't careful. We verified that I had the correct springs, and he said he's noticed that the H&R drop is usually more than what they advertise, whereas the Eibach lists a 1.2inch drop front and rear, and it's usually a true 1.2inches. Does anyone have any experience with this? For my driving style my car seems too low now. The tires don't rub, but I occasionally scrape the aftermarket front shroud. 1/2 inch more clearance would be perfect for my driving style.
I can't get the pictures I have on the mydubmedia.com hosting site to work any more... hopefully this link works: http://www.mydubmedia.com/gallery/mdtoney

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you dropped your car with your stock shocks, your H&R springs will sit lower, I had my car dropped with H&R Sport Springs, and Bilstein Sport Shocks, my friend dropped his with the same (even the same installer) H&R springs but his stock shocks, his was much lower, a good half a inch lower. Now same thing with my girlfriends Integra, when we dropped it with Springs, it was low, after six months we installed some shocks it went up a good amount. So my guess is, your running stock shocks :crazy:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply - I'm surprised that shocks would make that much difference. Yes, I have stock shocks - they were about 5 months old when we did the drop. Since they were so new I never even thought about upgrading them too... I'm looking to raise my car back up 1/2-3/4 inch, are you happy with the Bilsteins? What's the cost on those?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Warped, thanks for the compliment. I like the way the drop looks too (I'm sure I'd still like it if it was just 1/2 inch higher). I'm really careful when I pull out of parking lots and drive on rough roads, but I still hear the front end scrape more than I would like - and I paid too much for the body mods to risk tearing something off of the car. I just like driving, not thinking about every road imperfection and wondering if I should hit the brakes to avoid scraping. I'll try some new shocks and see what happens. Otherwise, the shop that did the install recommends either trying the Eibach springs, or forking over the $$$ for coilovers so I can set the car exactly where I want it...

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think they are in the mid $400s, also the front is adjustable, I set mines in the middle because the front was too low. Driving my friends car compared to mines, it is a very big differnce, he dropped his car at around 14K, and I did mines at about 11K, but his car started being bouncy after about half a month, his ride was much more smooth, but when he would hit a bump the front end would bounce and hit the floor most of the time. He also still had the Cadi like turns at the corner. He finally busted his Oil Pan and Tranny Pan. You either have a nice ride, or a sport ride, no such thing as both!

·
Registered
26,818 Posts
Look about right for H+R Sports. The Bilsteins will only raise the front. Since the front is lower than the rear,you could go 1/2" higher in the front and look level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts