Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried search, and I've made comparisons on other cars, but not the Passat. I am interested in going a little lower with the H&R's if the ride isn't SO much more harsh.
Anyone with experience with both? Anyone ridden in a Passat with H&R's?

I saw on their websites that they lower the cars as follows:

Eibach Pro-Kit 1.20 F / 1.2 R
H&R Stage 2 1.75 F / 1.5 R

Also, I may be interested in trading springs if you live in So.Cal. and want to trade H&R for my Eibach's just in case someone is sick of them for whatever reason.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (SDPassatT)

i had eibach and switched to h&r for the same reason. the ride with h&r compared to eibachs is stiffer no doubt about it. but as it being harsh well, that's a subjective description. my ass may take bumps and whatnot better than yours so it's a moot point. but for my experience, the ride with h&r's is stiffer but mated with bilstein sports, i'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (schmove)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>i had eibach and switched to h&r for the same reason. the ride with h&r compared to eibachs is stiffer no doubt about it. but as it being harsh well, that's a subjective description. my ass may take bumps and whatnot better than yours so it's a moot point. but for my experience, the ride with h&r's is stiffer but mated with bilstein sports, i'm a happy camper.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed you gotta switch over to B+G sports, you'll love them. Next gtg or show I'll let you drive the car.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (jdub)

at ETF let me ride in it. but then again if i do switch suspension.....coilovers here i come

·
Registered
940 Posts

heh, I got H&R Sports too and they kick butt.

If you wanna keep your Eibach rears... I have the fronts for sale cheap
Let me know if u be interested. They are brand new.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (Rice Boy)

schmove and jdub:
What are the prices for both of your setups? What's the drop on the B&G's? I am leaning towards the H&R/ Bilstein's combo. It sounds like it will be closer to my KW's than the Eibach's.

Time for new suspension!

Errin

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (B5 SportsWagen)

Inquiring minds want to know! Come on H&R people.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (B5 SportsWagen)

you can get h&r from tirerack for $170 i think. and bilsteins from neuspeed for ~$400 something. the drop on b+g is either 1.6 or 2.2 for their "autobahn" series springs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (jdub)

Does B+G sport springs give you the lowering as well as the comfort, sort of in between H&R and Eibach???????

·
Registered
45 Posts

A week ago I switched from H&R to Eibach...If you are an agressive driver and you don't mind a stiffer, yet still comfortable ride, I would say go H&R...If you drive a family around, the rear passengers will notice the harsher ride on the H&R...Either way you can't go wrong...
Sportier look, stiffer ride and better weight distribution = H&R
Less agressive look and more comfortable ride = Eibach.

These are my findings on a 4-motion.

·
Registered
347 Posts

I've had the H&R Sports for about 6 mo. and love 'em but am moving back to the Northwest in 1.5 weeks and the wife would like a slightly softer ride
. Are you only interested in trading the springs? How long have you had your Eibachs? I've heard they sag w/ time...any sagging yet?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (OCTICK)

Okay...maybe I will tell my point of view will help people decide which springs to get.I'm a 25 year old male,married(wife complains once in a blue moon about the springs because she hates babyin over the speed bumps,likes the look but doesn't like the ride)with one 5 year old daughter(she doesn't complain about the more harsh ride at all).I have a 2002 passat 1.8T and am a proud owner of H&R Sports Springs w/t Bilsteins sports abjustable perch. front lowered an additional .25 in the front (I luv the way it has that racked effect look
)but before I first bought H&R OEM springs (the lower was BARELY noticable).My advice is save your money and stick to stocks if this is the case.I was very disappointed about buying them but don't get me wrong H&R OEM are good quailty springs but like I said earlier barely noticable.So, I sold those springs...Then went back to stocks. After awhile I just started seeing alot more Passats and most of which are driven by older middle-aged people.I starting feelin like I was driving an older mans car.So, I said to myself I must have the car lowered.Like most every
CLUBB5
user I was debating which ones to buy next..Eibach Sport Springs all around to get that less harsh ride,spending less money,less worries going over speed bumps speed bumps or the H&R sports with bilstein ajdustable front sports for the look like no other passat at least in Jax. FL ,cost more out of pocket...After debating over and over which ones to buy.Then it finally got an answer... I'm 25 right now and my body doesn't ache much but when my body starts to hurt from the harsher ,even when my body starts to hate it and my wife starts naggin me about it .I still wouldn't change it.Only when my wife says. "Happy 40th birthday honey".That's when to I'll raise it back up... but only to Eibach's

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (b5boyd)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I've had the H&R Sports for about 6 mo. and love 'em but am moving back to the Northwest in 1.5 weeks and the wife would like a slightly softer ride
. Are you only interested in trading the springs? How long have you had your Eibachs? I've heard they sag w/ time...any sagging yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't think its the Eibach springs that sag as much as it is the crappy shocks. I had Eibach springs on my stock shocks and they did sag about an inch lower in the rear. This was with the stock shocks. When I replaced the stock shocks with bilsteins, it raised it right back up. Now I have exactly a 2.5 finger wheel gap all around.

For the record: I have Eibach springs and bilsteins, and I think the bilstins are a bit too harsh. Since I installed them, I get a lot more creaks in dash and doors when going over bumps... grr
I may switch to the Eibach shocks or possibly koni adjustable shocks.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (vwjedi)

I run the HR Set up happily....my opinion of the eibach setup is for those that are not going to push their car to the limits at time the eibachs make for a better more comfortable ride while still getting that performance feel. My HRs are fantastic as far as handling..ride quality well its diminished I wont say severely harsh but not as good as the car i rode in with the eibach setup. I have no regrets about my current set up as i catch no speedbumps, and had no problem getting around in 10 inches of snow. Whatever your decision keep in mind the factors and their order of importance.

How low do you want to be
What do you expect of ride quality
What type of performance do you want

and rate these things and base your decision on that

HTH

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (maridel)

I see people mention that they have lowered the front .25 lower in the front, what is that all about? What is adjustable? Is this Specific to the H&R/Bilstein combo?

is the 2003 affected by the late Vin "spring perches" (i think thats what they're called) ?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: H&R Stage 2 sport springs vs. Eibach Pro-kit (Z28Driver)

For the record: Eibach springs are preset twice. This means they are brought to block "all coils touching". there is no way you would be able to come within a 1/4 of that while the springs are on your car. Even jumping your car!!

As for pushing your car, Big Willow Springs 120 mph turn 8 four wheel drift passing a 2002 M3 coming into turn 9 (all day long) enough said.

Without bashing
any other Spring Companies. I have done testing myself with Brand X, Y and Z. Ride quaility which is (subjectable to an extent). Fact of the matter is if you go down more than 1.5 inches on our struts. Your strut is on the bump stop (secondary springs) which on the track is not a bad thing depending how smooth the track is. As for the street it can be down right dangerous. Bouncing around corners because your so far into the bump stop is not cool at 40 mph with a guard rail next to you ( this is from experience.)

Brand X Y Z which did lower the car down more than the Eibachs looked a bit more aggressive which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your road conditions ie., snow, deep rutted dirt roads,. A 1/4 of an inch to 1/2 drop over 1.5 inches makes a huge difference on ride quality and body clearance, because that 1/4 of an inch is where the strut comes in contact with the Damper. This increases the suspension rate about 15 to 25 percent over the actual spring rate that Brand X, Y or Z claims. The company may market the springs as a 200 lb. spring rate, however, combine that with a over-damped strut and sitting on the bump stop figure on a suspension rate of about 15% to 25% above that suggested spring rate. This is why valveing a damper according to the spring rate is so important for ride quality sake.
Also take into take into consideration the undue stress the rest of the suspension dropping it down to much.

Believe me VW of america took this into consideration when choosing Eibach as there private label for the Votex kit. They did not want ride quailty, drive line, neg camber out and inner tire wear warranty claims coming out there ears.
Riding on the bump stops on the street you tend to lose performance because your car is in constant unpredicable movment especially around corners w/ bumps

As you can see these are facts not opinions I claim.
Just another dozen or so facts to consider.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts