Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting some sport springs for the 99 Sedan we have. I am debating between Neuspeed and H & R. What are the goods and bads of either one? Which one is better for the money since they are close in price? Does anyone have pics with either set of sport springs and the factory wheels/caps. I know it's ghetto, but it will be on factory rubber for a while. Thanks. Forgot to ask how hard it is to change out the springs? I have done a couple Civics and Integras and figure it should be close if not the same?

-Mike L.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
There is a Neuspeed (or was) group buy going on in the Group buys section of the forum right now. They were selling for 155 shipped to your door (should only be a day or two as they are in Camarillo) The drop is about 1.6 with stock dampers, a little less with Bilsteins or Konis. The H & R give a little more drop than the Neuspeeds, but I don't know what the ride is like. The Neuspeed ride is pretty stiff, but its dead flat on all turns, I have 0 body roll. I love my new suspension :).
I have the Bilstein shocks too, so its not quite as low as it would be on stock dampers :thumbup:

Pics of my ride before and after

Before

After

Here are some more recent pics...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I bought the Neuspeed Spring GB and some Konis from Pure. It took a few days to realize I DID make the right decision, as I had driven on the stock suspension for 4 years! Damn, what a difference! Like a slot car in the turns, like a rocket off the line. Only real harshness is on rough roads. On smooth roads, it's like stock only waaaaaay better!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you get the Koni's on a group buy or anything? I looked and didn't see any going on, maybe I missed it? I was thinking of getting a set of Bilsteins to installn at the same time. After all I have over 110k miles on it. How long before the stockers should be replaced? What about Koni's or Bilsteins? Thanks.

-Mike L.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think there is a GB for the Konis right now, but there wasn't when I bought mine. Pure motorsports has them right now for $448 shipped I think. THe Konis aren't as popular as the Bilsteins on these boards, but so far I'm loving mine!
Michael

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
99 B5, I've got GBs going for both the Neuspeed Sofsport as well as Sport and the Koni shocks as well as Neuspeed Bilsteins shocks.

Look for em in the GB thread. They are all still going on.

Almost 50 spring sets shipped and over a dozen shocks shipped.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
H&R OE Sports with Bilstein Sports - front perch on 3rd groove. My 01 GLX.

My W8 on H&R Sports with stock shocks...
On 16" snows.

On stock 17" sport wheels.

·
Registered
26,001 Posts
Time to replace the stock shocks. See the writeup in the tech forum on replacement.
Not quite as easy as a Honda,but not too bad.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm also thinking about the H&R OE Sport's or the Neuspeed Sof Sport's.

because droping more then 1"-1.5" won't be a good idea for me sould I go Neuspeed Sof Sports? :???: :???:

I was thinking about Vogtland but a friend of mine told me H&R was better.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The neuspeeds are stiffer than the OE suspension. The drop is about the same IIRC (about .75-.95). If you're not looking for a good drop (my drop is about 1.6) then I would go with the sofsports.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
djskribble705 said:
I have Neuspeed Springs on my car and it lowered my car 1.5". I am very happy with them. For the money you will wanna lower your car as low as it can go.

CHeck this website out:

http://www.fknorthamerica.com/fkd_products.php

they have springs that lower Passat really low, I found out about them after I had already lowered my car. Darn!!!!!

haha

Not being a "ricer" I could never understand why someone would lower there car so much it's undriveable. You can keep your FKs. I'll stick with H&R, Neuspeed and Eibach. I'm probably going to use the ECS coilover kit on the front as well. Never hurts to have some adjustability.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Paul, what about Salty D's old whip, that was amazing and he was drooped like 4'' :lol:
Id say over 2'' is a little to low for me, im going with H&R's and Koni;s when i do my suspension this summer
P.S. Paul you've got a PM

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
rollininstyle2004 said:
Paul, what about Salty D's old whip, that was amazing and he was drooped like 4'' :lol:
Id say over 2'' is a little to low for me, im going with H&R's and Koni;s when i do my suspension this summer
P.S. Paul you've got a PM

Yeah, but Salty's Variant also didn't tuck the wheels so far you couldn't see the rubber or bounce like the suspension nothing but 4 hockey pucks. :wink: There's a difference between low and ricey.

p.s. you've got a pm back

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you want to lower it only about 1" and keep the smooth ride, I have really liked the feel of the Neuspeed Sofsports. They are good for rough roads. Here is a pic of mine:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
17 Participants
gnosis
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing