Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

941 - 960 of 965 Posts

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
I didn't realize this thread was alive, or even why, but I have to respond to this. And I'm reposting the photo to point things out.

First, this photo was like 7 years into Bush's administration. At this point, no one paid any attention to this, anyone who cared figured the guy would be gone soon, good riddance. If this had appeared the first year of Bush's term, you're right, it would be considered hate. But after 2 terms of anti-Bush bumper stickers, posters, web sites, etc, this really becomes a meaningless joke.

Get back to me in 6 years, if Obama's still on the job, and we'll see what kind of stuff is flying around then.

As for the photo, it's a great shot. Look at the faces surrounding the guy holding the sign. There's a lot going on in this photo, and you can read it several different ways, including some backlash against the guy holding the sign. You can also see the very core of violence in our nation that supports the hatred you guys are complaining about. It shows how we are doing this to ourselves. I'd post the same thing about somebody making this statement against Obama on day 1, day 2919, or ten years after his presidency.

It mirrors our society.

It's great photography.
While I understand and agree with what you're saying from a photography standpoint, the thread was "GWB - The Worst President Ever", not "Show Us Favorite Presidential Photographs". You post this in the GWB thread, people are going to focus on the message in the sign regarding GWB. In terms of what point of his presidency this photo was taken, that's really immaterial. A statement like this against any U.S. president is unwarranted and offensive.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
There is nothing great about any shot of a guy disrespecting the President. I dont care who you are or what kind of statement you are trying to make, THAT is WRONG. You may not like the guy but respect the Office.
This is kind of crap, if anything there is too much respect, admiration, fear, what have you for the office. The President is a civil servant and the office is simply one aspect of a multifaceted government that has grown too big and powerful for its own good. The President is not king nor steward although that is what we have turned him into a rotating steward of a two party monarchy. The President is a servant of the people, he uses the peoples wealth, resources, and power to do the peoples biding, should he cross that line he needs to be reminded where he stands and who he serves. Should the people start calling for his head.... he needs to hear it.

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
this is kind of crap, if anything there is too much respect, admiration, fear, what have you for the office. The president is a civil servant and the office is simply one aspect of a multifaceted government that has grown too big and powerful for its own good. The president is not king nor steward although that is what we have turned him into a rotating steward of a two party monarchy. The president is a servant of the people, he uses the peoples wealth, resources, and power to do the peoples biding, should he cross that line he needs to be reminded where he stands and who he serves. Should the people start calling for his head.... He needs to hear it.
qft

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
This is kind of crap, if anything there is too much respect, admiration, fear, what have you for the office. The President is a civil servant and the office is simply one aspect of a multifaceted government that has grown too big and powerful for its own good. The President is not king nor steward although that is what we have turned him into a rotating steward of a two party monarchy. The President is a servant of special interests, he takes the peoples wealth, resources, and power to do his party's biding, should he cross that line he needs to be reminded where he stands and who he serves. Should the people start calling for his head.... he'll ignore them.
There, fixed it for ya. And before everyone rushes to get their Obama panties in a wad, the above correction could be applied to pretty much any of the past several presidents.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
This is kind of crap, if anything there is too much respect, admiration, fear, what have you for the office. The President is a civil servant and the office is simply one aspect of a multifaceted government that has grown too big and powerful for its own good. The President is not king nor steward although that is what we have turned him into a rotating steward of a two party monarchy. The President is a servant of the people, he uses the peoples wealth, resources, and power to do the peoples biding, should he cross that line he needs to be reminded where he stands and who he serves. Should the people start calling for his head.... he needs to hear it.
Absolutely agree with you on this aspect, except I still respect the office for those great ones that have served. The Presidency used to be a position that was aspired to attain because we were the toughest nation on Earth, who wouldnt want to lead that? We used to have great leadership in this country but unfortunately liars happen to like money and really good liars become politicians, factor that with free $$$ and you have a recipe for disaster. It stopped being about 'We the People' for those guys and more the atmosphere of 'what can I do for myself to stay here.' Until the PEOPLE get tired of it nothing will change.

Anyone notice the chatter about Democrats changing their attitude of the healthcare bill because they are up for election? Just wait till they're back in...

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
There's a difference between respecting an office and respecting the individual. Some of our presidents lost a lot of the people's respect before they left office. I'll throw both GWB and Clinton into that lot. They should all be given their honeymoon to do their best, but when they prove themselves unworthy, I don't give a shit about being nice to them any longer.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
There's a difference between respecting an office and respecting the individual. Some of our presidents lost a lot of the people's respect before they left office. I'll throw both GWB and Clinton into that lot. They should all be given their honeymoon to do their best, but when they prove themselves unworthy, I don't give a shit about being nice to them any longer.
Assassination = not being nice? Interesting.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Oh SURE. The ranks of the tea baggers are absolutely RIFE with liberals. :rofl: Could you even type that with a straight face? I guess I should thank you for providing me with a chuckle this morning.

You guys need to decide which flag you're going to salute: Are tax and spend liberals ruining the country and trying to take over every aspect of life in America, healthcare being the latest, or are Americans of every political stripe sick and tired of an out of control federal government? The attacks on "tax and spend liberals" trying to expand government is logically inconsistent with their inclusion in a group attempting to limit the scope and reach of government, as well as limiting taxation. But you know that...

Tell you what. Go to a few news organizations or pro tea bag web sites and find some images &/or text of signs at tea bag events or tea bag philosophy and see whether you can find anything that tends to be more supportive of liberal politicians and ideas. I'll look for some supportive of the conservatives. I'll go 1st:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/12/tea.party.express/index.html
("Obama lies" image with swastica in the "O")
"...I think we've got some domestic enemies in the White House..."
"The men and women in our military didn't fight and die for this country for a communist in the White House..."
"...Both work for Our Country Deserves Better, the conservative political action committee sponsoring the Tea Party Express bus tour..."
"...They have three goals: Defeat President Obama's health care reform efforts, win back the House and Senate in 2010 and take the White House in 2012..."
"...Rare is the conversation with Russo in which he doesn't bring up the name of his idol and one-time boss, Ronald Reagan. But if there is a Reagan out there to take the reins of the tea party movement, Russo doesn't know who that person is..."
Ronald Reagan, of course, having been a well known liberal.

(Text in bold my emphasis)

http://teapartypatriots.ning.com/
(Mission statement from this website)

"CoreValues

• Fiscal Responsibility
Constitutionally Limited Government
• Free Markets

Fiscal Responsibility:Fiscal Responsibility by government honors and respects the freedom of the individual to spend the money that is the fruit of their own labor.A constitutionally limited government, designed to protect the blessings of liberty, must be fiscally responsibleoritmustsubjectit'scitizenrytohigh levels of taxation that unjustly restrict the liberty our Constitution was designed to protect. Such runaway deficit spending as we now see in Washington D.C. compels us to take action asthe increasing national debt is a grave threat to our national sovereignty and the personal and economic liberty of future generations.
Constitutionally Limited Government: We, the members of The Tea Party Patriots, are inspired by our founding documents and regard the Constitution of the United States to be the supreme law of the land. We believe that it is possible to know the original intent of the government our founders set forth, and stand in support of that intent. Like the founders, we support states' rights for those powers not expressly stated in the Constitution. As the government is of the people, by the people and for the people, in all other matters we support the personal liberty of the individual, within the rule of law.

Free Markets: A free market is the economic consequence of personal liberty. The founders believed that personal and economic freedom were indivisible, as do we. Our current government's interference distorts the free market and inhibits the pursuit of individual and economic liberty. Therefore, we support a return to the free market principles on which this nation was founded and oppose government intervention into the operations of private business. "

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/02/21/tea-party-usa-the-movement-grows/
"...I’m happy to report on several new protest events now on the docket..."
Michell Malkin, of course, being a well known liberal.

OK DSIM. You're up.

Lots of anti Obama and democrat stuff, but not a single "Bush was the worst president ever" reference that I saw. (See how I'm trying to stay on topic, Jay?) :lol:

Tax and spend liberals? Fiscal resposibility?
What a load of BS. We all know Republicans throw it
all out the door as soon as their corporate masters
belly up for some pork.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
Tax and spend liberals? Fiscal resposibility?
What a load of BS. We all know Republicans throw it
all out the door as soon as their corporate masters
belly up for some pork.
If you think democrats don't feed at the trough, your bias is blinding you. Take a look at the current investigations as at least some indication. Both parties love the pork, it's the whole system that's the problem. Looking to buy votes, maintain or regain power, using federal spending as the means. Playing one against the other suits the parties just fine since they both know they'll never retain power for any significant length of time. Each party has a loyal base that they pay to retain. The voters swinging in the middle, trying to figure out which party is fucking the country the least, is what wins the elections.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
941 - 960 of 965 Posts