Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the limit is imposed if you accept (or agree to accept) federal campaign dollars. I think the issue is that McCain said he would accept campaign dollars, and now he says he's not.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Doesn't seem sending anything right now to the FEC would do much good...
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9807.html
the FEC lacks the four-person quorum needed to take any official action....
That means no investigations can officially begin, no new rules can be made and no legally binding opinions can be offered.
Seems like a sweet time to be running for office. ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
I re-read this thread this morning and it hit me, this is spam. Why do we as a community accept "cause" spams but rail against the product spams?

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
I've bitched in the past about the amount of Ron paul spam in the forums, but in this case, while the initial letter promotes the idea of kicking out McCain and getting RP nominated (unlikely), it's also fodder for Dems or anyone opposed to McCain. So in that sense (if it's a legit possibility), it's not quite so spammy.

·
Registered
889 Posts
This should be killed. I can think of hundreds of Political Action emails that could be cut an pasted by people. If we start this, that is the only thing that will be in the Black hole until November. Other than OldPete of course.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
It's spam and the original poster contributed no meaningful content for discussion. :thumbdown

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there, I took down the political action email and just left it at the article.

The issue for me is twofold. He used the FEC to get on the super tuesday ballot in several states, instead of the usual and costly signature method that is used by candidates with large bankrolls.
Second, he used the matching funds as collateral on a loan. If he leaves the program he is committing fraud on the loan.

All this from the candidate who is all for campaign financing reform.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Second, he used the matching funds as collateral on a loan. If he leaves the program he is committing fraud on the loan.
This is the item I have seen most often pointed out. If he really did this, it pretty much makes him a liar on campaign finance reform issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts