Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I FINALLY found a hime for the brain for my IVA-C801. :D I got home early fom work on Friday so I started by ripping most of the interior out. Saturday morning I started looking to see if under the front seats would work. I was going to go under the pass. seat but it gets moved a lot more so I switched to the driver's side. While the space was tight (you'll see when I get the pics online) it just barely fit. Two thing were a PITA though. I hade to cut off about 4" of the heater duct to allow the brain to fit in farther under the seat and for some reason the carpet floats a little above the floor. When I was going my test fit the bottom support bar of the seat rubbed the brain in a couple of place (and you guys know how anal I am about everything needing to look perfect) so that really bothers me. It didn't gouge anything, but there might a little paint transfer. I may try polishing it to get rid of it. To solve the problem I put a piece of velcro (the fuzzy side) on that bar and now when I slide the seat back it doesn't hurt the finish. So if anyone is looking at putting something under the seat and you have a Tip so the box in the pass. footwell is used this is a great alternative. The back seat mats still fit flat on the floor but right where the mat ends, the brain begins. Not a big deal really.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first time I took the interior apart it was a pain, but now that I've seen the differences in panel fitment between our Mk3 Jetta and my B5 it's not hard, just different. Now if only I'd known I had to disconnect the battery when unplugging the seat's airbag connector it would have been perfect. I'll try to get pics up tomorrow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The first time I took the interior apart it was a pain, but now that I've seen the differences in panel fitment between our Mk3 Jetta and my B5 it's not hard, just different. Now if only I'd known I had to disconnect the battery when unplugging the seat's airbag connector it would have been perfect. I'll try to get pics up tomorrow.
WHAT? Did the airbag go off? :shock:

·
Registered
151 Posts
cant wait to see pics. i have promised myself im not doing anything else that involves wiring inside my car, god i hate removing interior panels.
for real man, some of those panel have the flimsyist little tabs and snaps, and if one breaks, its like no one else knows it but it still bugs the hell outta me. Also running the wires tucked into my door sill makes the trim sorta bulgy.

blech. :(

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
souplogic said:
WHAT? Did the airbag go off? :shock:

Fortunately no, but the stupid airbag light is on so I need to find a local member with a VAG-COM I can borrow to reset it. SO far everyone on th elist either sold theirs or hasn't responded. :sad:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Paul

Pictures??????

:poke:

and yes you will need a vag com to clear the code for the air bag light.
Been there done that.
Pete

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have pics in a couple of hours. We have an exercise this week AND my wife comes home on Thursday :heart: so, and don't take this the wrong way, but the Club is REAL low on my list of priorities at the moment. :lol: In any event I'm working on the pics as we type.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before I begin;

* Disclaimer
Do this mod at your own risk . I'm not responsable for any damage caused to the electric system or any other part of your car.*

Ok, Here' we go.

The first thing you need to do is disconnect the battery, or you'll learn the hard way, like I did, that you'll need to reset the airbag light. Then remove the front seat, either will do. 1.8Ts use a T45 Torx bolts and the V6s use a 13mm bolt. I had to "persuade" the bolts to back out but they seem to be made for this since they have a point on the front of them. I used the driver's seat since it gets moved a lot less and my 3 year old sits behind me so there's never anything on the floor on that side.

The bolts are a little covered by the carpet in the pics, but you get the idea.
Once you get the seat out cover the rear support with something soft, you'll see why later :wink: I used the soft side of some velcro.

Next you need to cut out the floor duct all the way to the support beam. You'll end up taking out about 6 inches of the duct. I used a hacksaw with a metal blade and it went through like butter.

before

after, the piece you cut out

Next comes the fun part, routing the cables. You'll need to go from the HU to under the seat. The cables are pretty bulky so it's not going to be easy. Also, make sure you DO NOT place any cables under where the brain will be sitting or it will not be able to "float" and you'll mar the finish of the brain.

Now you need to position the brain under the seat to find out where you want it.

You'll want to make sure the cables will clear the curved supports so this stage is critical. It would suck ass to adjust your seat and rip the cables out.

At this point you can plug it all in and test it out. If all is good, put the car back together and enjoy.

Here's a couple shots of the the car back together. Notice the floor mat still sits totally flat.

with the seat all the way forward

with the seat in my normal driving position
I didn't take one of the seat all the way back since it completely covers the brain.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Paul

Is it me or did you post the same picture for the before cutting of vent and after.
Nice writeup, though. And what type of Digital camera do you use?

Pete

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Gotta bump this up for an install this weekend.

Paul - what is that duct for? Any problems with the brain covering it up?

I have preexisting wiring going to my Alpine 7998. New HU goiing in will also be Alpine, but with a braing :wink: Anything that I should look out for.

And how did you end up routing the wiring? I think most of my wiring was run on the passenger side, should I install the brain there instead?

TIA :)

- Julian

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Yikes dude, that's a helluva lot of work. I just removed the foam out from underneath the passenger footwell, and my C800 brain fit perfectly in there along with my rear screen controller, FM modulator, and bundles of cabling. Only worry about people stomping their feet up and down.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Julian - The duct is for the heater for the rear passengers. Blocking it is like closing a dash vent, it just sends more air to the other vents. The wiring will be more involved since you now have to power the monitor and the brain. Also Alpine gives you about 18-20 feet of cabling for the brain. The hardest part is running the wiring from the dash to the brain and making sure you don't bundle the wires under the brain. Last, don't forget the soft side of the velcro on the seat support bar or it'll mar the surface of the brain.

Gurft - That only works in a manual tranny car. Mine has a Tip so the box was occupied by the TCM. There's plenty of room for passenger's feet with the brain tucked under the seat. I drove to L.A. with loads of luggage and crap behind the seat and everything was fine.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only time any significant air goes to the floor vent it when you have it on the "feet" setting. I solved this potential by blocking the vent with a piece of ABS plastic cut to fit the opening and I epoxied it into place. You could make it out of the 6" piece you cut off of the vent or even out of the carpet you cut out from above the vent extension.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts