Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Since It's a GM... maybe they know their limitations: 000000. :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Ok, that's all the possible guesses... who wins the prize? :poke:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I hope you pushed that Camry to 200mph at 200K miles. :p

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scuba2001 said:
Come on Sharky, fill us in
Nothing to fill in, really.

'95 Camry, 2.2 automatic. Original nearly everything except 4 struts, some bulbs, one dogbone motor mount, couple of other small things.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
1991 Camry - 222k.

I should point out - for the first 125k - 135k miles, my wife drove this car - she bought in new in 1991. My wife, up until last October/November, has never received a speeding ticket and she weighs 120lbs soaking wet. She's very, very gentle on her cars - she doesn't eat in them, nor smoke (because she doesn't smoke) and like I said - she's very thin so upholstery wear is about nil. I'm a big guy - 6'4" - husky sized but I'm very gentle on the cars I drive as well. I put a towel down on the seats to minimize wear and to reduce sun fading. I clean the cars often, I don't eat in the cars and I don't smoke. I drive a little fast (10-20 mph) over the speed limit and I'm very anal on maintenance letting the dealership perform everything except oil changes - which either I'll do myself or have a quick lube place do it.

So here's the rundown on our well-taken car of 1991 Toyota Camry (which has been the most reliable car to date I've ever owned - along with the 1996 Avalon we had.)

Rusted through both rear quarter panels, rear doors, passenger front door and rusting badly around windshield.

Starter/solenoid replaced last year, sticky throttle body (still persistent), transmission has hard shifted for 175k miles or since the 50k mark, leaks and burns oil since 201-203k mile mark. I've replaced the horns (yes plural - both of them) 3 or 4 times - I've given up on those - they'll work for a year then quit - electrical gremlin I suppose.

On routine maintenance, I've always replaced the oil/filter every 3k, transmission fluid every 2 years, coolant flush and fill every year, brake fluid with every brake job. It's gone through 3 timing belts, 3 batteries, 3 sets of belts and hoses, lots and lots of brake pads and rotors, bulbs, one exhaust system, 2 water pumps, 2 front axels and 3 windshields.

My interior looks "okay" - the driver's seat has a rub hole but it has broken and cracked trim pieces throughout (dashboard cracks, the shift lever mechanism, inside door handle, seat belt housings, etc.)

This Camry has virtually no options whatsoever on it - nothing power operated (no power windows nor door locks nor seats, no cruise control, nothing - so nothing to break there.) It's easier to list the options it has - all three of them - a tape deck, rear window defroster and air conditioning. The cigarette lighter went up in smoke one day (and I don't smoke!) - it just started smoking, rear window defrost doesn't work, I replaced the radio that burned up (this is well documented in a recall), the dashboard lights on the HVAC controls don't work, half the time they don't work on the automatic shifter either. The air conditioning still works - it's never been recharged and it's ice cold. It started to ping like mad on regular gas so I've run 93 in it for the last 6 or 7 years at least and like I said earlier the horns don't work. Toyota replaced those twice, an independent mechanic replaced them once and I did the last ones - like I said - they last a year and then just quit.

I wrote all this out not to piss on Sharky's 200k mile parade but to point out that all cars will have some problems, even the one's that don't have "a lot" of problems. I may not have ever replaced my control arms - but 3 or 4 sets of control arms are a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to replace than body panels and doors that have rusted through like on my '91 Camry is all that I'm getting at.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Sullie, your car has been a comparative POS next to mine. In fact, less has went wrong with my current Cadillac compared to your Yoda, but I haven't had the Caddy too awfully long.

I'd be pretty ticked at several of the things you've listed as problems, 200k or not.

My Camry has none of the interior electrical issues you mention, shifts perfectly, does not smoke, etc. I was ticked at the motor mount failure at 175k, and my exhaust flexpipe isn't what it used to be, which irritates me a great deal.

Of course, it has been maintained to the Nth degree by Yours Truly.

I haven't done a single hose, which I think is weird.

One will probably pop this summer.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
S_Klass said:
S_Klass said:
That's not a GM, that's a Toyota Camry! :) 200,000 miles baby!
So what did I win? Nothing? Not even a grilled chicken caesar salad?
I'll give you half an order of day-old chicken nuggets (now with white meat!) from Mickey D's.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
thats awesome man, cruising at 80mph with 200k on the engine.

I also was surprised to see that the green light around the "D" in the gear selection was not burnt out.

Its fairly common to lose it between 120k-150k, mine just went out at 140k (though I'm looking into seeing how hard it would be to replace, yes I'm that anal) :lol:

So far my 94' V6 XLE is at 140k

I have replaced the battery once
Tires twice
timing belt
coolant every 2 years
trans flush every 1-2 years (I have being a little anal about my tranny too, because its smooth as butter, and I want to keep it that way)
bulbs, brake pads

I too have not done a hose on it yet.

My one claim to fame with the car, is that my power antenna still powers fully up and down (and its original), I see tons of Camry's on the road, but very very few with a fully working antenna.

Also not a spec of rust, though again, I am watching it like a hawk. The bottom inside edges of the doors are supposed to be a problem section.

And I change my own oil every 3k.

-Nick

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Sharky said:
Well Sullie, your car has been a comparative POS next to mine. In fact, less has went wrong with my current Cadillac compared to your Yoda, but I haven't had the Caddy too awfully long.

I'd be pretty ticked at several of the things you've listed as problems, 200k or not.

My Camry has none of the interior electrical issues you mention, shifts perfectly, does not smoke, etc. I was ticked at the motor mount failure at 175k, and my exhaust flexpipe isn't what it used to be, which irritates me a great deal.

Of course, it has been maintained to the Nth degree by Yours Truly.

I haven't done a single hose, which I think is weird.

One will probably pop this summer.
Really though for the first 150k miles it was pretty trouble free except (and I forgot to list this too) that it needed a new distributor at 120k or so. It would stall out after a rain. This is great you'll love this Sharky. I took it to my Toyota dealership (which except for this one problem they've been very good) and they could not find the problem, they replaced the wires, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, wet the engine down but could not reproduce the car stalling out.

My wife gets stuck going on the freeway and is LIVID pissed off - ready to dump the old Camry (this was 5 or 6 years ago.) So I bought a Toyota Avalon for her and I took her car because it had been so reliable and it was so paid for and at that time it still looked great and I knew this couldn't be that serious. So it happened to me (after a month) - I go round and round with the Toyota dealership all over again with new wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor (that they paid for this time), yada, yada, yada only for this to happen to me 2 or 3 more times. Finally, I had enough of this and I did a search on the internet and on Click and Clack on cars website I found that this was a somewhat common problem on Toyota Camry's (of my build - 87 - 91.) So finally, after 4 or 5 visits to Toyota I had them replace my distributor and voila - that fixed it. ;) The rust is also a common problem from what I've noticed on the 87-91 years - 92+ don't seem so prone to rust.

Most of the problems, except for the sticky throttle plate and the horns and the distributor happened AFTER 150k miles or so. I had that transmission looked at several times and I've come to realize that until the car warms up - it will hard shift - which can be for a few minutes up to 20 minutes when it's really cold out.

It really is an inexpensive car to own and maintain, I think it needs an oil pan gasket and a valve cover gasket but I'm getting ready to get rid of the car so I'm just not going to worry about those two things.

My point is about this though, is that to me, for what my wife paid for the car and what it costs to maintain, the great gas mileage, etc. even with the little problems here and there, I still think it's been a great car to own. Most of the problems have happened after it was paid for, I still don't think it's been a pos though - maybe I'm blind to the problems? All the problems listed are very inexpensive problems to fix. I'll tell you though, despite all the mentioned issues, I still continue to drive this car 60 miles per day without so much as a hitch and still getting 35 mpg.

I went through my old receipts though and I still don't think I've spent more than $2,500 over the last 120k miles or 6 years in fixing things that weren't maintenance items - to me this is acceptable. The rust through on a 12 year old car (which really started happening in 94/95 and was fixed free by Toyota's 5 year body warranty in 1996) and really reappeared in 1999 with a passion - is the only thing about the car that's just not acceptable to me but it's water under the bridge to me at this point.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Sullie,

Having owned a 91' Camry prior to my 94', its fun to see how its gone for you.

I agree, after you explained it all out, the car was deffinetly not a POS. I had some of the same problems you did, namely the horns going out, and rust starting at the time around the bottom edges of the doors.

I also had the rear main seal replaced, because it had been leaking. Let me tell you, the labor killed me on that, it was like $120 in parts, and $900 in labor.

Overall a great car (mine was a V6), I no doubt would still be driving it today had it not been totalled in an accident.

-Nick

Oh, one other thing I forgot I replaced on my 94' camry was the CV Boots on the front axle.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
Sullie,

Having owned a 91' Camry prior to my 94', its fun to see how its gone for you.

I agree, after you explained it all out, the car was deffinetly not a POS. I had some of the same problems you did, namely the horns going out, and rust starting at the time around the bottom edges of the doors.

I also had the rear main seal replaced, because it had been leaking. Let me tell you, the labor killed me on that, it was like $120 in parts, and $900 in labor.

Overall a great car (mine was a V6), I no doubt would still be driving it today had it not been totalled in an accident.

-Nick

Oh, one other thing I forgot I replaced on my 94' camry was the CV Boots on the front axle.
Nick,

Yeah you know I remember you once saying you had a '91 at one time and you showed pictures of that thing all totaled. Well, between you and me, I like that 92-96 Camry body style a lot better than the '87-'91 - those were a lot less prone to rust and a hell of a lot roomier. But anyway, I know it looks like a litany of problems but Christ almighty guys - think about it - the damn thing is over a decade old and most of this shit has cropped up over the past 4 or 5 years. I document and have receipts for each and every problem. I'm pretty anal plus I'm getting ready to get rid of the car and I've been going over the receipts from 13 years ago until now. I must have a million receipts for oil changes! ;)

Whenever you hear some guy say "all I ever did was oil changes" or some bullshit like that, I don't believe it. I dunno, I sometimes think the more you enjoy a car the less likely you are to remember putting money into it. Plus, if the car is paid for, you're always thinking "okay that cost $1,000 to fix - that's still cheaper than 4 months worth of payments!" And then I think people tend to forget what they actually spent on the car in repairs because they're not taking it back to the dealership for repairs every month. I think it's when the dealership makes mistakes is what really pisses people off, when they don't get the job done right the first time and maybe you have to take off work or argue about the repairs is when people really get fed up and start keeping track of problems. I dunno. ;) I just think Toyota's are simple to work on, for the most part, with lots of room in there to work - hell I replaced my own starter and without directions or even a clue where the damn thing was. I just walked into Napa (or autozone) bought the part and looked for something that looked like it on the car and yanked it out and put the other one in it's place - that was 2 years ago. :)

But anyway I was thinking about it and you know, like that radio of mine - first of all the thing was a piece of shit to begin with. Second there was a recall on it, I could of had that replaced for free but I said to hell with it. But lastly the coolest mistake in the world happened with that thing. I bought this double din radio for my Avalon with a CD player and a hookup for a cd changer and it was a brand new Toyota factory head end unit I got off e-bay for like $300 right? Still brand spankin' new still in the plastic and toyota parts box. I go to put that in my Avalon and "oops" wrong freaking plug in!

Damn was I pissed, I was going to re-list it on e-bay but never did and I had it sitting around for a couple of months in my garage (this is about a year and a half ago) when that radio went on my old Camry. I took that old radio out to see what was going on and I thought "holy freakin' shit" that's the same plug connectors as that radio I bought off e-bay! And I've had that cool ass stereo in my old Camry ever since - looks like it came from the factory that way except everyone that rides in that car gives me shit about it and says - "that stereo you got there looks too good for this piece of shit!" ;)

But anyway, I honestly can't complain about that old Camry, it still runs like a top, I drive it 75-80 everyday still 60 miles a day rusty ass fenders and all. ;)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Sullie said:
Well, between you and me, I like that 92-96 Camry body style a lot better than the '87-'91 - those were a lot less prone to rust and a hell of a lot roomier.
I'm right there with you, thats why I bought my 94'.

-Nick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
10 Participants
Sharky
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing