Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Faster or quicker?

The Passat may reach a higher topspeed, but my uneducated guess is that the Acura would win 0-60 or 1/4 mile.

... Just checked Edmunds.com and I guess they have 170hp and it quotes a 0-60 for the Acura at 7.1.
It's a lot lighter than a Passat....

btw, no street-racing, right?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
there are too many variables in this but I'd wage to guess the Acura would accelerate faster while the Passat would go faster thats my 2 cents

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Z28Driver said:
there are too many variables in this but I'd wage to guess the Acura would accelerate faster while the Passat would go faster thats my 2 cents
Are you 99passatgls (Joes) brother? Do you ahve his car? Cause if you do you will kill him, as long as you kept the mods he had.

If you are not and your V6 is stock then it should be close. With the same drivers GSR would probably win, but in a race you never know. Most of the time its the driver not the car.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Er, iirc, Joe's brother had an Eclipse?

And honestly, how much skill does it take to put your foot to the floor? :roll:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
At least it requires moving your feet and BOTH arms at the SAME TIME :shock: :shock: :shock: GOD FORBID! :wink:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
lol, that's a great emoticon.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
stealthx32 said:
Er, iirc, Joe's brother had an Eclipse?

And honestly, how much skill does it take to put your foot to the floor? :roll:
Well if he an Auto then yea, but with 5 speed its not just about putting the foot to the floor. Dropping the clutch right, right rpms, minimal wheel spin, in most cases (especially in 1.8t) flooring will not give you the fastest acceleration. Also shifting gears at certain point and the speed that you do that matters alot also...... :suspicio: :roll: Figured you would know that :crazy:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Unless you're racing perfectly matched cars, shift points will have very little effect on the outcome of your street races (unless you shift at 2k or something equally intelligent). And unless you make over 500 ft-lbs of torque and can break your tires loose in 4th gear, pedal to the metal will get you from point A to point B the fastest (also assuming that you put your foot on the gas AFTER you release the clutch :wink: ). Do you really think restricting the airflow and chokin' up your fuel injectors would yield more horsepower? Assuming your fuel maps are correct, your injectors are clean, and your MAFS works, I don't see how less gas and air would yield a faster car...

Oh, I forgot the liberal use of the deriding smileys...

:suspicio: :roll: :crazy: :suspicio: :roll: :crazy: :suspicio: :roll: :crazy:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I wouldn't go that far. There is skill involved in drag racing. You can see that just from the range of time slips that have been posted here over the years. Street racing is a different matter though.. the winner there is just the one with the least regard for life, limb, and insurance premiums.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea i am joe's brother and when he sold the car to me he sold the GIAC ECU Chip, HKS SMF Intake, HKS Klasse Catback Exhaust on me so now i have to buy them over the summer. I just got a chip but i have to get it but in. But rite now i am haveing so problems with the transmission so the car has been at the dealer and my sister is the one with the eclipse.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Macabre said:
You can see that just from the range of time slips that have been posted here over the years.
Yeah, but every car is different. I'd say that two reasonably skilled drivers driving the same Passat would yield a time within .2 seconds of each other in the 1/4 mile. I'd attribute the varying times more to modification and tire selection than to driver skill. The only major driver skill oriented thing that I see is how you get off the line. Bog the start (especially in the 1.8 ) and you've lost a couple fractions of a second. After that, if you don't have enough common sense to shift before you run out of revs, then you shouldn't be driving anyways. We're talkin' about 150-200 hp family sedans here (albeit FWD sedans :D ), not purpose built dragsters.

Oh, and if you miss a gear w/ the Passat gearbox, you better go back to an automatic :p

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Macabre said:
And honestly, how much skill does it take to put your foot to the floor
I'd say that two reasonably skilled drivers
The prosecution rests :D
lol. Reasonably skilled means being able to shift from first, to second, to third... There's no need to modulate ANYTHING except the clutch for your launch, and after that...stamp on the clutch, stamp on the gasss, w00 w00!

And phatB5, tell me where you shift. Or is a trade secret among underground Passat street racers?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts