Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok....so about a month ago more-a-less, end of may, coming home on the GSP going north, i got a CEL randomly popping up in my car...my first...and i was like AHHH WTF!! ... it said emissions workshop...i made stock, or what seemed like stock boost(~7-8 or 9psi)

this is unrelated i think, as it was the stupid NJ gaspumpers putting regular in my car when i told them 93...filled up on 93, voila gone...i thought i guessed right...

ever since then, i have been watching the gas guys, and have had no problems....then it happened again about 2 weeks ago...the CEL goes on, but it didnt make the !beep! emissions workshop sound...and it still held boost...so i didnt think anything of it...it went like this for about a week...

then it happened again...light goes on, i think nothing of it, then beep emissions workshop...im like ughh gas guys AGAIN...get some more premium just to be sure, and start her up, same thing...im like wow how cool of my car...

it wasnt until driving around, and my having to pass someone that i noticed holy shit my car is a dog...stock boost... :???: :mad: :???: ...

i reset my ECU with some friends later that day (unplugged the neg. terminal for like 5 mins) and it was gone for about 3 days, making boost everything perfect...then it happened again, at which point it was like the 3rd of july and i was leaving for california for vacation in 2 days and was tired of fussing around with it...it had been like that on and off since...

it will be on when it starts up usually, if not soon after, then it will make boost until what seems like the car is reading something and then the "emissions workshop" comes up....

...im stumped as to what it could be, and dont have a vag to read it....someone have any ideas or anything :nervous: :sad: ...

chip-APR DPP 93/100

·
Registered
121 Posts
I really don't know anything about cars, but i don't think its because of the regular gas. (My stupid ass put regular in the car for at least 3 months) My car recently had the emissons workshop message too. It was on for a week and then went off. I took it to the dealership and they said it was the vaccum hose and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
917 Posts
hateshondas said:
...im stumped as to what it could be, and dont have a vag to read it....someone have any ideas or anything
Your engine has an idea. That's why its turning on the CEL, and going into limp mode.

And that's what pulling codes is for. To find out what your engine thinks is wrong.

Next time you are in CEL-hell, go to Autozone or similar and get them to pull your codes. Autozone will do it for free. You can come back here and post the codes.

Codes aren't an end-all to diagnosis, but they can put you on the right track. For many problems on today's complicated vehicles, attempting diagnosis without codes is -- shall we say -- "difficult".

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Some of EWs come from coolant temp sensors, others bad MAFs. The codes will lead you to what's causing it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well im in cali now, i go home on sunday ~ 3:45, so ill go to strauss auto (like a pep boys autozone place) nd have them read the code for free, then post the results, and maybe that will tell me whats going on...or point me in the right direction...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.