Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
ya, but adjusting toe isn't rocket science either. I don't think the benefit of adjustable height suspension is that you can adjust them all the time, it's that you can pick the height that *you* want (side benefit of GCs being you can pick any spring rate you want, too). I realize that many people just want them to be slammed at shows, and those people probably aren't very concerned with toe settings when their car is in the weeds. Anyways I don't think GC makes a set of sleeves for the B5 Passat.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
True, adjustability also the appeal of GC for me. Furthermore, GC uses Eibach race springs/ERS, so you know they are good quality springs.

I'm not at all concerned w/ lowering my car by much (usually like to keep it at stock height for the lousy roads in los angeles). Playing w/ the spring rates is fun though. GC allows you to custom order spring rates at increments of 25 lbs. GC's are very pop w/ track ppl because they can order very specific (and high) spring rates. I'm pretty much doing the same for my Miata (500 lb front, 375 lb rear), and plan to do the same w/ my CRX (450 lb front, 550 lb rear). Some track guys run well over 1000 lb spring rates, but I doubt they are used on stock konis.

If you have Koni revalved double externally adjustables and w/ a well thought out spring rate using GC springs, it would be a very competitive setup.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Indeed, a primary concern for me when suspension shopping was getting stiffer rates without getting stuck with a slammed car. I think they're a bit of a false economy though, because to get all the bits you get with most coilovers setups you'll probably end up spending more.. And GC sleeves can never be double height adjustable, of course.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The cost is really isn't too bad. I spent more or less around $800 for my Koni yellows/GC setup for my miata (I checked the pricing on most Hondas are also the same). The GC sleeves and GC/ERS springs came out to be around $350, which really isn't too much more than say a regular $200 set of springs.

Lol, yes the GC's can't be doubly adjustables. I was actually reffering to some of the Koni shocks out there that are doubly external adjustable (rebound and dampening iirc).

BTW- what are you, or what are you planning to run on your car suspension-wise? Are you tracking these days? 8)

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Yea, I knew you were talking about the shocks, I was just making an aside :) For whatever reason, Koni decided to shaft the Subaru market. $600 for a set of single-adjustable INSERTS. So It'd be $200 camber plates + $600 shocks + $350 GC's. For $1k I'd rather get a set of low-end TEINs or something like what stealth32x got. Anyways, what I ended up with is the Apexi N1 Type-V coilovers. They're not quite as popular as some but I got a good deal and they looked great on paper (inverted monotubes, 7km front/4km rear, 30-odd levels of compound damping adjustment, front camber plates). So far I've been really happy with them, but I'm thinking about rotating those fronts to the rears and getting some 8kms for the front. We'll see.

No tracking it.. yet.. although my boss bugs me about it every time he takes out his prepped 944 NA. By the time I end up going out, the car will be quick enough that I'll wreck it :shock: :nervous: :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Apex'i coils are generally regarded as pretty good stuff! Good choice on the rates, it should work grt for track and street.

If you're not comfy with lapping, you ought to consider checking out autoX first. It's usually a lot of safer to develop familiarity autoXing your car before taking it to the lap anyways. I think it should be a lot safer too, as i have yet to see/hear anyone get their car destroyed by the cones. If you have a bodykit w/ some huge bumper spoiler/lip, that may get damaged though. Have fun with the WRX! :beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts