Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the non-specific headline but the problem is hard to describe - essentially I have been hearing a creaking/groaning when making 90 degree turns; it seems to only happen at sub 40mph but then again I dont generally make 90 degree turns at higher speeds. The sound seems to be coming from the rear center (sort of where the spare is in my wagon). Problem much more prevelant when car is cold.

Originally I thought it was a loose spare - but I tightened and then removed it and problem remained. Then I thought maybe this is a rear control arm issue - but then I noticed that the problem seems to happen when clutch is engaging and car is turning - if I put car in neutral, sound disappears - which doesnt sound like control arm problem. (also arms have been checked and visually look ok).

Problem pre-dates new clutch and new clutch is engaging well so I dont think that is the issue. For a second I thought it was the rear differential but then I realized that there shouldnt be such a thing on a front wheel drive car. So I'm sort of stumped.

The car (w/ 112k) miles is running great but this sound makes me fear that a big repair is looming and since I have found a great '03 Allroad (sorry VW but I need a stick in my Wagon), I am tempted to dump it - however if I could diagnose the problem and fix it w/out a big bill, I'd pass on the Audi.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Well, I haven't heard of any problems from the area your describing. It mostly likley is dash creak, which is no wear as serious of a repair as your thinking. IT can't be completley eliminated, but can be reduced. You should check out this link. Basically you shove a 5/8'' foam rod in between the windshield and dash. You can also do the silicon spray in between the vents as shown in the how-to.

I also put small pieces of felt in between the screws and dash on the sides of the dash(A small panel pops of on both sides. You can see them when the door is open). That helped a little bit. Try those small fixes out, they won't take long at all. Then report back.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have the same exact sound in my 03 variant. It sounds like I am in the hull of ship. I have tracked my noise down to 2 things, I think. One the driver seat creaks and groans when moved from my position, when my wife drives the car. I put my feet on the pedals and push back on the seat and there is the groan. Took it to the dealer they told me I was nuts. Two is my rear coils on my KW v2 creak and groan massively in the cold. Hope that helps

Michael

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
springs and/or shocks I think start to groan when they get old and worn.
My wife's Audi (B5) is exhibit pretty much what you've described, plus I
get a knocking sensation/noise at low speeds. Bear in mind I just replaced
the entire front end suspension with the Bilkstein kit. Professionally
installed & torqued to spec with suspension loaded yadda, yadda.
I even double-checked the strut mounting bolts and subframe.
So really it's pinpointed to the shocks/springs at this point. I have new
springs ready to go in, but I'm saving up for new shock, strut bearings,
etc. I'm also going to install new subframe bolts as well as sway bar
bushing as they don't come with the suspension kit.

Other places to check, in addition, or excluding, entire front end:
Strut mounting plate bolts.
Subframe bolts.
Steering rack bolts.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
But I wonder why it's coming from the rear of the car, that's the confusing bit.

Is it a 4mo, by chance?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
There's also a rubber bushing that sits between the spring & spring seat.
I think this may also be causing the groaning noise many folks are hearing.
Perhaps it's just the extreme cold? I noticed on my Passat it does groan
faintly on occassion when it's really, really cold. It's done this since
I bought it new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts