Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving to the store last week and I noticed a lot of resistance driving up the hill I live on, so pulled over to find my front left caliper siezed. Pried it open, drove back home without using pedal.

I decided to replace the pads, rotors and calipers since it's been a while anyway ( even though I had a good amount of meat left on the pads)

So after all is done, I hear a grinding noise when spinning the front left wheel by hand when jacked up. I have my brother put the car in 2nd, and I let the wheel spin and you can hear it get caught and grind every rotation.

Idk what could have happened during the brake job, we each did one side. Is it bad splines on the axle maybe or the bearing? It's a pretty deep grind so I'm not sure what else it could be. I bent the dust shield both directions with no avail.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I know this sounds way too easy, but did you check the shroud? During the course of a brake job, it can get bent (and it bends easily) and start rubbing on the rotor. It's usually as easy as bending it inward a little.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know this sounds way too easy, but did you check the shroud? During the course of a brake job, it can get bent (and it bends easily) and start rubbing on the rotor. It's usually as easy as bending it inward a little.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
He said that he bent the dust shield both ways if he is referring to the same thing as you. I would suggest the same because i know from doing brakes a few times on my car this can happen really easy and cause a big headache! haha

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I tried moving it around a bit and it didn't make a difference. I might have to take the caliper off and see if everything is seated properly. I'm assuming it's not having to bed them in, cause the right side is silent.

I also wonder if it can be from too much brake fluid, or air trapped somewhere causing the piston to stay open or something.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
As egovreou said, the grinding noise could be due to the shroud being bent a bit and touching the rotor.

With the wheel out, push the rotor inwards and rotate it to check if it is touching the shroud at any point.

The same thing happened to me a while back.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
A sound only at a certain point in the rotation could be that the rotor isn't seated flat against the hub. Clean any corrosion on the hub, and check from the edge that the rotor is even and sits flat all around on the hub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts