Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets just say one night at a buddy's bonfire we had a little bit of liquid encouragement. Reverse donuts sounded like a good idea, well after about 3 spins around on slick wet dirt, heard a loud and nasty pop amongst other viscious noises, and a free rev. Reverse was absolutely grenaded. So, I know the 5 spds aren't known for their strength.. I'm not really impressed especially when I'm planning on building this car up into the 300-350hp range, maybe more. Btw car's a 2003 Passat GLS 1.8T and it's bone stock. it's got almost 193,000 on it. Got it in december for 2 grand and the car lot was trying to get rid of it, figured out why, CPS was bad, but ran and drove perfect on the test drive, died the day after picking it up from the lot. But has brand new tires, brand new brakes and has treated me well ever since. The tranny was already pretty well shot, made alot of noise in neutral, little bit of slop in the gears and 3rd and 2nd syncro were done for, clutch still grabs perfect but its been slipped most of its life, badly. It was a young guy that owned it. I would say it was run pretty hard and he didnt know how to drive stick that great.. It's been very well maintained though mechanically though. But it's also got a kickass sub system, someone clipped the wires, took the subs but left the whole system, got me an alpine R-12, kicks pretty good..... Anyway's just thought I'd fill you in a little since this is my first post here, been lurking through the forum for awhile though about various things. :thumbup: I can see alot of you guys know your shiz about these cars, alot of you seem to enjoy them as much as I do.. Nicest driving, most comfortable vehicle ive ever had or driven, and for a 1.8 4 banger that little SOB scoots pretty quick! No corvette by any means but for what it is, gets the job done, really likes rpm's though. Below 3,200 it's a dead dog. So question time!

I've been looking into the 6spd swaps, but haven't really found any rock solid info.. Not really wanting to get a AWD tranny and weld the center diff, dont mind doing wrenching just rather not screw with that. So can anyone tell me is there a longitudal 6spd for a fwd out of an audi or vw that will bolt up to the 1.8t? If there is what would be necessary for the swap? Linkage for the shifter be used of the other car or fabricated? What year and model of car or the transmission code? I'm looking at it this way, if there is I'd love to do the swap to have the extra over drive, that and just to say it's a six speed, also to get away from the 5spds weakness.. The cars coming due for it's second timing belt, the turbo is pretty tired.. It's leaking a good amount on the intake side and has quite a bit of play. If there is a 6spd swap possible, pull the engine, pull off the pan clean it up, maybe put a different sump in it..? Change the pan cause it got cracked, car botomed out. Jb weld is a life saver. Change the timing belt, upgrades maybe some arp studs and a few other goodies depending on the budget. K04 turbo, or havent decided but will for sure go bigger. Maybe injectors at the time. And do the swap since everythings out and what not, if possible. If anyone else has done it, sucessfully or has experience or good knowledge please leave what you know, any info is appreciated! If it is possible, and budget wise possible lol, just limp around till I've got it all together then do it, it still has all the other gears and acts the same as it did before. Just dont park where ive got to back up. If not possible, just buy a junkyard 5spd till another route is explored. Now to chips/tunes. They're pretty damn expensive for these cars, and I don't wanna shell out the cash for one that I might not like the way it drives anymore, so do some companies offer a demo or trial period? And the last question, does anyone make a bigger more powerful alternator or a kit to install 2 or 3? Reason I ask is cause I need more juice to feed the amp, lights dim decently at any point, also gonna put a second battery in the trunk. Any info is much appreciated! If there is other info about this already posted just let me know who posted it and I'll dig it up. Thanks guys! :)

·
Administrator
23,310 Posts
Used 5 speeds are fairly easy to come by and usually pretty stout, or so i thought. It's all in the clutch for power holding.

Cheapest tune that I have seen is reflect tuning for about $220 or so. I had one for my 99. Nice and smooth. Good power delivery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about an 06 Audi A4 GVT code FWD 6spd. Bolt's to the 2.0L, will it bolt to the 1.8? $500 for one close to me.

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
The B6 Audi uses the ABS sensors for the speedometer rather than a sensor on the driver's side output flange of the trans. The trans would bolt up, but I don't know of anyone who has tried to fit the VSS to the output on the trans. The B6 6sp was on clearance several years ago, so several people looked into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts