Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! I just stumbled across this place yesterday, whilst looking for detailed specifications of my "new" '99 Passat, which I just picked up today, by the way. I must say how impressed I'm by the sheer volume of information available in these forums, detailed modification instructions, care-taking, et cetera. Well done! :)

Anyway, I'm still unsure of what my car really is. All I can say for sure is that it's a 1999 VW Passat, manual transmission and 74 kW/101 HP engine. Oh, and it's a sedan. The advertisment read "S/D Basic Line", but despite hours of Googling, I cannot seem to find a single reference. I did see lots of references to B5, B5.5, 1.8T, GLS/X, though.

I'm not very knowledgeable about cars in general, so perhaps someone here will take the time to explain any "key" or major differences of whatever-it-is-I-mentioned-above (1.8T, GLS, B5.5...)? ;)

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I believe you have a 1.6L TDI.
I don't believe that was sold in the US.
you have a b5
GL, GLS, and GLX are US model designations, taht are simply trim designations that don't really corespond internationally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To answer some of my own questions, I found this and this.

Thanks for the response, nm+. At least I know now which modifications to stay away from. :D

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
The S/D Basic Line means you have the "Basis" Europeon model. The other European models for sedans are Comfortline, Highline, and Trendline.

http://www.passat3b.de/

That is a good site for Europeon passats. Lots of pictures of Euro passats and such.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts