Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
two weekends ago, I replaced all the brakes on my 99. the original factory calipers had torn boots, were rusted all to hell, and at least one was stuck in an odd position that caused a wobble at speed.

on my way home from work today, I heard an odd mechanical clank. I was coasting just as I crested a hill where there was a traffic light. the light was red, so I started braking... and the peddle went to the floor. I released the brakes, and pumped again - to the floor, with a little more resistance. I pumped the brakes again, and they got firm.

I coasted across the intersection, pulled off the road, and parked the car. I got out, and walked around the car. the rear passenger side rotor was dislodged where the carrier bolts onto the back of the hub.

when I replaced all the brakes, I double-checked each and every fastener to ensure they were tight. I had a witness who saw this. the only thing I can possibly think of that could have caused this problem was NOT using green loctite on these bolts - I figured there was some there residually, so it wasn't going to be a problem, right? WRONG.

thankfully, I found some replacement bolts of the proper size and hardness at Autozone, of all places. no, they are not allen heads (regular hex bolts), and the upper one was a pain to put in place due to the interference of the brake line and e-brake cable. you can bet your collective arses that I used green loctite on these bolts. I will post pix later this eve of what it looked like.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
I tried to call you to see how you made out.glad you are AOK! otherwise I would have had to have snorkfest here ;)
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
i tried calling you back it went to voice mail, did you at least get my text about the bolt being an m10x1.25 20mm long?

·
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my cell battery was dead, Matt. I called the local VW dealership to get the spec on the bolts - same as you said - and got same in grade 10 at the local Autozone.

·
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyway - the moral of the story is, don't trust residual green loctite (and I suspect other colors as well). I know of at least one other person who has had axle bolts release all by themselves...so if it is on a particular fastener, buy some and add it when you reassemble.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I learnt that same lesson myself. After my last rotor & pad replacement on the rears, I had that same clank driving home from work. A bolt that I was certain had good torque was completely missing, and the caliper was held on with just 1 bolt.

I don't know if the color of the loctite matters, but I think the moral of the story is to use some kind of loctite..!!

·
Registered
27,233 Posts
Eat more Spinach..

Reactions: smiguelrivas

·
Registered
577 Posts
:icon_eek: Shart, Jay! :icon_eek:

I'm definitely double checking all bolts now thanks to this story. Glad you made it through the intersection ok, and home from there. BTW, my new brakes rock! It's sweet doing this stuff myself...

·
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eat more Spinach..
I had plenty of leverage when I installed the brakes, Paul - the car was on a lift. these bolts just worked loose.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't know if the color of the loctite matters, but I think the moral of the story is to use some kind of loctite..!!
Eat more Spinach..
I had plenty of leverage when I installed the brakes, Paul - the car was on a lift. these bolts just worked loose.
I thought the spinach comment was meant actually to allude to the green loctite....did I read too much into that?

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
I almost never used loctite and I can't think of one time I have had a loose bolt. I have had my axles out at least 3 or 4 times and have never gotten new bolt. Done the brakes twice, had the tranny out twice, done the timing belt twice, had the subframe off twice, no loctite and no new bolts. Just need to tighten things better. I also worked on alot of machinery and I can't really think of any times we used it except on golf cart tops as it would crush the plastic if you tightened them to the spec listed.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I almost never used loctite and I can't think of one time I have had a loose bolt. I have had my axles out at least 3 or 4 times and have never gotten new bolt.
These are one-time use strech bolts with HUGE torque on them....I am all for saving money, but I wouldn't want to re-use axle bolts..!!

Just need to tighten things better.
The caliper to bracket bolts were tightened to the specified torque specs....how are you supposed to "tighten things better" better than that..??

·
Registered
27,233 Posts
I thought the spinach comment was meant actually to allude to the green loctite....did I read too much into that?
Yes, he needs to look more like Popeye to tighten those bolts.

I almost never used loctite and I can't think of one time I have had a loose bolt. I have had my axles out at least 3 or 4 times and have never gotten new bolt. Done the brakes twice, had the tranny out twice, done the timing belt twice, had the subframe off twice, no loctite and no new bolts. Just need to tighten things better. I also worked on alot of machinery and I can't really think of any times we used it except on golf cart tops as it would crush the plastic if you tightened them to the spec listed.
:thumbup: Same here. The only thing I have used loctite on was a Chas Bar.

·
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've done the rear brakes 4 different times on this car, plus had the rear carrier off when I replaced the rear wheel bearing/hub assembly. that's at least 5 times, and there might be another time or two I don't remember. (I'm old ;) ). as of this morning, >242K miles on this Passat, and I put ~202K of 'em on it all by myself.

trust me when I said they were tight. the only thing I can think of is they locktite on the bolts wore out. this is the very first time this has happened to me, and I've been doing brakes since at least 10 years before you were born, youngster! :poke: :wrench:

·
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, he needs to look more like Popeye to tighten those bolts.
Paul, you've met me - I ain't never gonna get Popeye forearms. :rolleyes:

:thumbup: Same here. The only thing I have used loctite on was a Chas Bar.
my A6 bar has nylon locknuts and those were oblong, as well. they ain't coming loose.

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
I would be worried about rust in the bolt holes causing them to become bigger than they were originally. Sounds wierd, but I a skeptical of the lack of locktite being the culprit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
By no means am I an expert on passats or brakes, but I can vouch for the importance of loctite with this type of application. I work for a fitness equipment manufacturer and we use it for elliptical machine hardware all the time. With all the moving parts and vibration, the hardware can loosen pretty quickly. On one particular bolt, we even use a set screw to hold it in place but if there is no loctite, it can still back itself out in few days.

We use the blue kind so the bolts are still removable and we apply it to threads prior to installing. But the green kind is supposed to be applied after tightening the fastener as it seeps into the interlocked threads. So once the fastener is removed, loctite needs to be reapplied. And wheel vibration could easily loosen a bolt if there was little or no residual treadlocker left. For those who have had no issues, I'm glad that has been the case but for the few minutes it takes to reapply, I'll take this as a useful tip and be safe. Thanks a lot for the info JayTheSnork. Hopefully all is working ok for you now.

·
Registered
27,233 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I changed the brakes on wife's 2003 V6 Passat a few months back, but did not use Loctite (I used one of the guides from PW). Where does it need to be applied? I think for her Passat, the rotor is just held behind the wheel. It uses the same lugs as the wheel. It does not have separate bolts.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The key is to avoid putting in Carrier bolts dry. If there is corrosion on the Carrier bolts, or the bolt holes, you can get a false "tightness" making you think you actually have tightened the bolt, when all you have done is tighten the bolt into the corrosion. The lubrication quality from wet Loctite, Anti-Sieze, or a dedicated lubricant can overcome this.

We use Locktite on the Caliper bolts and copper anti-sieze on the Carrier bolts. Haven't had this problem with any of our cars.

Reactions: CntrlNJPassatGuy
1 - 20 of 44 Posts