Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm about to sink my teeth into this puppy. Their site quotes 179, but when I go further in and enter my zip code it says ground shipping 9 bucks. I don't want the thing ground shipped. That would take forever. I need it overnighted. Isn't that they way most people do it?? Who else has dealt with these guys and what happened with you???

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Well, depending on what kind of engine you have, that price may or may not be correct. The Neuspeed P-Chip (Greedspeed is a Neuspeed retailer) for the 1.8t costs around 350 dollars, and isn't very agressive. The 179 dollar chip is for the V6 IIRC. Greedspeed is right near me, so I have been there a few times. Personally I think the owner (Anthony) is a bit full of himself. He told me that everything I knew about cars was wrong, and tried to sell me things that I did not want or need. Keep in mind that you will also need to send your ECU out to them (they need to desolder your chip, and program it, then solder it back on and send it back to you) For the money, I would go with Wett, they are much more agressive, and it only costs a few bucks more.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
if it's a 98-99 1.8t, then 179 is correct. 00+ is DBW, which gives it the added cost.

if your car is stil under warranty (again, assuming it's a 98-99 with 10yr/100k powertrain), then you might wanna consider getting a socketed chip like APR, GIAC, or Wett since you might need to swap the chip when you bring it in for warranty work.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is a 99. None of that DBW crap. I've got about 90k on the car now and I do have an EW, but that will be expired at 100k. I know I'll have to send the ecu out to them(which is what I'm concerned with). I don't know if that price includes them overnighting the ecu back to me.

Jonathan

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
jjasper13 said:
Mine is a 99. None of that DBW crap. I've got about 90k on the car now and I do have an EW, but that will be expired at 100k. I know I'll have to send the ecu out to them(which is what I'm concerned with). I don't know if that price includes them overnighting the ecu back to me.

Jonathan
It should. Greedspeed does a lot of these, I just don't really like the owner, I think he pretends to know more than he does.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
jjasper13 said:

Jonathan
just call 'em up and ask.

btw: the neuspeed chip is the best bang/buck for the 98/99 chips, so you're making a good choice 8)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just call 'em up and ask
Good point. I'm always bad for that. I did email them. The deal is done and my ecu will be on the way out next week. I hope you're right. LOTS of people really seem to love GIAC, Wett, and APR, but I just couldn't shell out all those clams. But crap, an extra 35-40 horsepower for 180 bucks. I can't pass that up.

Jonathan

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sal,

Nice username, by the way. I went ahead and went for the 1.0 Bar. For the same price, why not? I know the .8 is less aggressive and easier on the engine, but it sounds like it can take it. I'm thinking that even the 1 Bar neuspeed will probably be easier on the motor than some of the more aggressive chips. Also, a lot of guys on here are putting on big phat ko4s. Surely mine can handle a little extra psi from a chip. But, I'm far from an expert. Maybe somebody with more experience can chime in. I'll let you know how it goes when I finally get everything installed. It probably won't be until later next week.

Jonathan

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
jjasper13 said:
just call 'em up and ask
Good point. I'm always bad for that. I did email them. The deal is done and my ecu will be on the way out next week. I hope you're right. LOTS of people really seem to love GIAC, Wett, and APR, but I just couldn't shell out all those clams. But crap, an extra 35-40 horsepower for 180 bucks. I can't pass that up.

Jonathan
i agree with you. if i had a '99, i'd get the Neuspeed. the '00 is over $300 :( the Wett is good too, but i can't afford to send it in for them to chip. anyway, i'm gonna get the GIAC chip + tip chip installed in a few weeks 8)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Jonathan,

Have you gotten your ECU Chipped Yet?

I have decided to get the GreepSpeed/Neuspeed 1Bar as well.. I have purchased the TT DV and Plan on putting it on tomorrow. I am not sure that there is anything wrong with the one on the car now....76K Miles. Probably still has the factory DV on the Car! I have had the car for just under 1 year and just more than 25K miles. DV Tomorrow and ECU ships to Greedspeed on Monday! $179 and we pay for shipping.... Sounds like a good deal.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for Preperation? Other that putting on a New DV?

Sal Manilla :lol:

BTW - Car is a 99 B5 - Elegant Green 5 Speed

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
No, the DV is the most important one. New exhaust is not an out of order upgrade, K&N filter is a cheap way to hear the car breathe better. A new suspension will help you keep the car more planted at speeds.

·
Registered
177 Posts
if you take your car to the dealer, even with the stock chip in, if you've ever had an aftermarket chip, it should leave an error code that is specific to program changes. So whether you have the stock chip in or not, they can tell. Just so you don't look like a liar when they ask "have you chipped this car?"

·
Registered
177 Posts
Don't know! Don't have a Vag-com, not smart enough to work one. I just know that My buddy has a 10th anniversary Cobra, you know the supercharged one......Don't ever challenge one of those...... he pulled his programmer out before he went to the dealer, and they busted him. Showed him on his printout which code it was and all. His face turned red, they showed him that right after he denied that he had EVER put any kind of programmer on it. Since getting busted he has added over $6000 in suspension and engine modds. He's now pushing 460 hp and 482lbs to the wheels, all motor, when he's spraying he hit 502 to the wheels but the the motor mounts gave and he started wheel hopping on the dyno! Bad news! I runs the quarter at around a 10.2 at a little over 130 mph!! Crazy fast!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm saving my pennies and working on the wife to get the greedspeed. It just seems to be the best bang for the buck!

does anybody have first hand feedback from it?

Ben

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
bwhiting
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing